Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
Type 99, depending on when they where manufactured could take a 2.5x scope like a type 97, (early mfg) a fixed 4x (most produced)or a adjustable 4x scope (late manufacture) both 4x will interchange but the scopes where fitted to each rifle and require a fair amount of tinkering to get even mediocre results.

·
Banned
12,716 Posts
Nice video. An incentive to get my Type 99 sniper back up and running. No scope though. Bummer.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GaryThompson

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Some type 99s have a mount which takes the smaller 2.5X. That would be the 1000 Kokuras made, which is different than the 2200 ish made by Nagoya 99s. The Kokura scope will have a number on the outside of the mount near the locking lever for each of the 1000 rifles. These are very hard to find, less than 50 known, and expensive. The 1000 Kokuras were the first of the T99 snipers, kinda of a prototype and partly for field trials to test against the T97. The Kokura 99s and the Nagoya set up for the 2,5 scopes, the scopes have a 99 marking near the ocular end of the scope. That said, a 2.5 scope from either a Kokura or Nagoya 97s will usually fit on the base of the T99s set up for the 2.5X scope. The problem remains that a scope fitting does not mean it will put your rifle on the paper. Each scope, except some extras for replacements, are set up for a specific rifle and numbered to it. Thus you have to zero it per Andy's video, to your rifle. A handful of Japanese rifles have their issued scopes.

On the 4X bases on only about 7800 Nagoya snipers, they will take only the 4X scopes, either the fixed or adjustable examples will usually fit any 4X base. Again, they are either numbered to a rifle or spares with no number. Again, the not so easy zero process is needed for the vast majority to get POI to equal POA.

So in sum, 11000 T99 snipers were made. 1000 were Kokura, all 2.5X with the rifle number easily seen. Nagoya made 10000 with about 7800 being 4X and 2200 being 2.5X so maked T99 since the ballistic grid is different for the 7.7 vs the 6.5 T97s with 2.5X scopes(cutbacks). The larger mount base allows either the fixed 4X or the 4X adjustable scope, and the adjustable serial range is not the latest but more like the 7000 serial range IIRC. The grid eliminates the need for adjustment for windage and elevation, you just use the complex grid. A pretty cool system IMO.

These are capable snipers, not Japanese junk as some think. First outing with a Kokura 99 sniper with wrong t97 scope with terrible optics, like looking through skim milk, I shot a 0.78 inch 5 shot group at 100 yds with Norma factory ammo, not match.

I will try to load some T99 Kokura pics and their scopes, plus a cutback Nagoya, an adjustable, 4X fixed and a Nagoya 99 or two. Pictures are at least 12 years old and am not sure what I have added since except another Kokura 99 scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some type 99s have a mount which takes the smaller 2.5X. That would be the 1000 Kokuras made, which is different than the 2200 ish made by Nagoya 99s. The Kokura scope will have a number on the outside of the mount near the locking lever for each of the 1000 rifles. These are very hard to find, less than 50 known, and expensive. The 1000 Kokuras were the first of the T99 snipers, kinda of a prototype and partly for field trials to test against the T97. The Kokura 99s and the Nagoya set up for the 2,5 scopes, the scopes have a 99 marking near the ocular end of the scope. That said, a 2.5 scope from either a Kokura or Nagoya 97s will usually fit on the base of the T99s set up for the 2.5X scope. The problem remains that a scope fitting does not mean it will put your rifle on the paper. Each scope, except some extras for replacements, are set up for a specific rifle and numbered to it. Thus you have to zero it per Andy's video, to your rifle. A handful of Japanese rifles have their issued scopes.

On the 4X bases on only about 7800 Nagoya snipers, they will take only the 4X scopes, either the fixed or adjustable examples will usually fit any 4X base. Again, they are either numbered to a rifle or spares with no number. Again, the not so easy zero process is needed for the vast majority to get POI to equal POA.

So in sum, 11000 T99 snipers were made. 1000 were Kokura, all 2.5X with the rifle number easily seen. Nagoya made 10000 with about 7800 being 4X and 2200 being 2.5X so maked T99 since the ballistic grid is different for the 7.7 vs the 6.5 T97s with 2.5X scopes(cutbacks). The larger mount base allows either the fixed 4X or the 4X adjustable scope, and the adjustable serial range is not the latest but more like the 7000 serial range IIRC. The grid eliminates the need for adjustment for windage and elevation, you just use the complex grid. A pretty cool system IMO.

These are capable snipers, not Japanese junk as some think. First outing with a Kokura 99 sniper with wrong t97 scope with terrible optics, like looking through skim milk, I shot a 0.78 inch 5 shot group at 100 yds with Norma factory ammo, not match.
Appreciate the information! Very informative.
Out of all the weapons that required that difficulty zero process...it had to be the 7.7 with its price per round. Lol.

I read somewhere that most of these scopes have a lot of flaking in the reticles. Is that usually the situation with all of them?

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
Appreciate the information! Very informative.
Out of all the weapons that required that difficulty zero process...it had to be the 7.7 with its price per round. Lol.

I read somewhere that most of these scopes have a lot of flaking in the reticles. Is that usually the situation with all of them?

The specs will vary. I long thought it to be paint flaking inside the tube but apparently it is worse than that. It is reported to be the balsam glue popping loose between the lens packs. The specs seem to accumulate the more you shoot it. Some have been used little or none since captured so may have little issue with the specs. The more you shoot it, the more the specs add up they say and it does seem to be true.

Don V., on the sniper forum, 03man, made a few adapters for the 97 and 99 snipers. I bought a 97 and have been looking for the larger adapter for years. Only one run. They allow use of a modern scope but the ring attachment is for the 22 cal sized grooves, at least on the 97. I put on a cheap 4X and give the accuracy a try saving the original scopes. I have shot the originals though. The adjustable scopes are also uncommon and expensive but shot with one.

I will post some old pics if I can find them and get them to load. I have added some stuff since then like my third Kokura 99 scope, less than 50 known last count I heard. Have had 6 of about 70 rifles known of the 1000, have 4 left.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
@mike radford - jaw dropping collection. Thank you for sharing.
I think Japanese really had a nice package and were on the right track with scope reticles as well. Building on Finnish Physica M37 idea, Japanese clearly took it few steps further. It makes you wonder how Horus and Trijicon even get their patents granted?...
This probably was the most advanced reticle of WWII...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very nice Mike. Thanks for sharing your info and pictures. I am looking for a nice Type99 sniper. This info helps
here’s a pretty good looking one. I’ve done business with legacy for a couple years now. Good, honest guys that try to learn what they are selling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.