Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roy, I appreciate the offer, but I got antsy. Time to move this one along. Last weekend, a friend found a donor rifle, for my Type 97 Obamanation. Total mixmaster, but a Kokura with everything I needed. And some extras. Last three digits of the '97 are 071. Last three on the '38 stock, 471. same inspector marks on both stocks. All in all (excepting bad pictures) I think it turned out pretty OK.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,359 Posts
That turned out very nice! Its quite satisfying to spend a few days in your workshop and come out with a job well done. Sometimes I get so lost in my shop that forget how long I was actually there. Now track down a scope and enjoy that sniper!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Have you tried sliding a scope on it?

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried sliding a scope on it?
Nope, don't have one. If'n I did, woulda posted pictures. If one doesn't fit, something is wrong with the mount, not my inletting. Thanks for the compliments guys. I enjoy doing such as this. I find it interesting, that so few members have commented, on my work. Yoda did say something about it, to someone else, on a different thread. Yet, I didn't even get an "attaboy", for reporting the Type 99 scope found in Kenner. (everyone else does) I didn't "dis" Roy and his abilities. I am in total awe, and wish he lived closer than four hours away. Just wanted to do it myself. Yes, he may have addressed the latch issue. That I regret. But, will take care of it. I was hoping for input from the guys I've learned so much from, in the last six years. If Roy had done the work, it woulda been "Magic in Mississippi" all over again.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
Trench, I just now realized what you restored. I've never put a new forearm on one. I've got a sniper in same condition at the shop been there for years and have not tried that. Boy getting old is fun. I recently changed locations of the key to a small safe that has some ammunition in it and don't remember where I hid it. With all the clutter I may never find it. As one of my little grandsons hollered as his mama took him out of Church for not being quiet "yau'll pray for me."

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Morning fellows :

It took me two weeks to create the dissertation on restorations, hard to put into words that make sense and avoid making language boo boos !.
Andy are you looking for a rear barrel band for a Kokura or Nagoya 97 ?, the Kokura is a scarce bird, Trenchwarfare was fortunate that the band was still there on the sporter he got. I have only done one Kokura 97 restoration and was fortunate that I had found an original rear barrel band at a show table for a buck !!!, that allowed a straight forward use of Kokura 38 wood to make a correct restoration. Sold it off for $ 850 after I found a mum and match one with a correct scope ten years ago for two grand.
Without original Nagoya 97 wood it's difficult to restore one, the rear band on these is retained by a screw while 38 wood is inletted for a single band retaining spring. I am on the look out for a Nagoya 97 donor rifle to swap receivers as I now have the matching scope for action # 10754 which I found torn down in parts at Phoenix in 2007. The best part was that the base had not been messed with, once completed this will be my first matching rifle and scope after two decades.
Trenchwarfare, you are right that Mr. Boone is a treasure and both of you folks are thousands of miles from Rialto California ( my loss for the moment ). Am glad that your restoration experience was a positive one, you have saved another Kokura 97. Not an easy rifle to find, the effort looks good from the posted photos. My first attempt was a humbling lesson and I only wound up 25 bucks in the hole. Will keep you in mind on a Kokura 97 scope that may come up later this year. There is an unissued 99 2.5x scope on Gunbroker if you're in a rush.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Sorry for the tantrum. Roy, I didn't replace the forearm. It is a complete Kokura Type 38 stock, inletted for the scope base, and latch. I went to the Kenner show, on Saturday, walked around, and sold a few guns. Should have gone, on Sunday. A friend emailed me pictures of a Papa, AND a Baby they picked up. Guy also had a Type 38, and Type 99 snipers, with scopes. No info was recorded. Both rifles had issues, that curtailed the asking price. Wish I had been there to see them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.