Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my great uncle had a type 96 or 99 lmg that he brought back from WWII. I need help to idenify which one. The gun looks like it may have been in combat, i'm not sure if it works. I'm interested in knowing what it's worth to a collector? I can get pics and seiral numbers if anyone likes. Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
822 Posts
And if it's not registered, donate it to a museum rather than cut it up and sell the parts. You'll probably get more in a tax break than it's worth in parts. I think Obama has a special tax break for people who donate machine guns and make less than $250,000* per year.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Type 96 is a light machine gun. I would expect you have a type 99 bolt action rifle. It can be identified with a single vent hole on top of the chamber. Underneath you will see two R's. This is the symbol for 99. These rifles we around $60 to $100. Recently they have become highly collectable . Depending on condition, Aircraft wings present, bipod present, Dust cover, or MUM (sign of the Emperor) is not defaced they can be worth well over $250. Hope this helps !

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Both the Type 96 & Type 99 are LMG models. The former is in 6.5 caliber while the later is chambered for the 7.7x58mm rimless round, the same cartridge as used in the T99 rifle.The T99 LMG had a number of improvements over the the T96 as well as the caliber change. JH

·
Gold Bullet member
374 Posts
The biggest physical difference between the two is the 99 has a monopod under the toe of the buttstock and a flash suppressor screwed on the barrel. You can also on right side of receiver below carry handle see a maker mark plus sn. and in kanji it tells you the type it is ie type 96 or type 99.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not all T99's have monopod and flash hiders. It can get confusing as some later T99's did NOT have the monopod and some later T96's had flash hiders.

A better way to tell would be (and this is not a guarantee since some late T96's don't follow this) whether or not the barrel can be removed by rotating a barrel locking lever on the left hand side of the receiver just forward of the mag well (it's a T96). If there is no lever, but rather a bolt head then it is likely a T99.

If you send me a couple of pics, I'll be happy to translate the markings and confirm what it is.

Type 96 LMG

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Type96 is correct...the best and easiest way to tell is to see if the barrel retaining lock is a lever (looks same as the rear buffer/backplate lever) type 96 or by having a bolthead type wedge (type 99), to remove the barrel from the receiver...this was a quick change barrel method for sustain firing, to change out the barrels when they get too hot...there are alot of parts that interchange between to 2 models...

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Maybe just check the bore diameter?

·
Registered
398 Posts
garfield's dad,

Exactly. That's what I was inferring to when I mentioned "since some late T96's don't follow this" regarding the barrel locking lever system.

Mukden was definitely making Type 96s (as early as 1940) that had the T99 barrel wedge arrangement. These should be in the 3x,xxx serial block. Kokura didn't use that configuration until late.

Of course bore size should be a dead give away as well.. ;-)

Type 96 LMG

·
Silver Bullet member
605 Posts
I think realistic moving price for a type 96 LMG is around $8000-9000 anymore. Type 99 $10000-11000. I know people been asking for more, but I don't think there moving at the higher prices unless there really minty/nice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.