Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Just wanting to verify these kanji , I know the one to the right is Tokyo , but the one to the left looks like Tokyo inside circle or shield ,
Thanks for the help , the sword number is 11886 earlier sword?
Thank you
Herb

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I might be wrong but believe it might be a form of "KO"

·
Registered
488 Posts
The left stamp is the manufacturer Iijima, however it is over stamped with the Kokura aresenal stamp for some reason. I have not seen that before. Post photos of this, along with the rest of the sword and scabbard, over here for people with much knowledge to look at and advise.

Reactions: Kiipu

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Based on the serial number, this was likely made in the first year of the aluminum handle version, so late 1938 to mid ‘39. Nice piece! Does the wrap at the fuchi go all the way around or does it begin crossing on the other side?

Ha, I see the guy doing the stamping was having a bad day in general, even the “1”s are upside down on the saya throat!

·
Registered
337 Posts
The handle is asymmetrical and is correct for this time frame. I see Stegel-san has chimed in so will pass along the torch as he is the most knowledgeable on Type 95 hardware.

For your information, Bruce has reposted some of your pictures over at NMB and they are starting to generate some feedback.
Japanese Type 95 Sword for NCOs, Post #41

If you have time to throw away, take a look at this never-ending thread over at WRF.
Short Development History of Type 95 Gunto

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.