Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This artillery piece was found at a shutdown VFW post in West Texas and is now at the Texas Air Museum in Slaton, Tx. The gun is is very good shape and still has the original spades and one on the handles used to open the trails. There were 262 Type 95's produced from 1935-1940. This example carries a 1940 production date and serial no. 272 which would suggests it is one of the last guns produced. The Japanese did not always start with serial no. one to hide the number of guns produced which is why the serial number is higher then the number produced.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
There are some amazing treasures still lying in attics & storage closets of local VFW halls across America.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A few months ago I did a Poker Run on my Harley that went to a bunch of American Legion halls. For the first time, visiting a place on the run was more exciting for me than the ride. I saw a German MP40 with ammo pouch and sling, a Russian M44 (captured one, probably from Korea, not one of the imports), a Krag, and LOTS of military memorabilia and photos, most from WW2 or earlier. It was quite a treat and sentimental at the same time. Used to be that these American Legions or VFW's had all kinds of captured weaponry, including machine guns, cannons, anti-aircraft guns, artillery, even tanks. Unfortunately you don't see much of it anymore, except old, small town courthouse lawns. I hope soon we see some Iraqi weaponry prominently displayed, but probably won't. It wouldnt be politically correct you know.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I almost made the trip to Tx to see that piece but decided to visit Utah instead (better airfare). Thanks for posting! A very rare field gun and your picture confirms that there are only 3 known specimens in the US. The other two are on display at the Ft Douglas Military Museum and Oregon Military Museum.

Here's a well-preserved T96 150mm howitzer displayed at the Vet's Museum in San Luis Obispo.

Thanks again for the pictures! Eric

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a Type 95 150mm sitting in Fort Sumner, New Mexico at the Billy The Kid Museum of all places. It came out of a military academy

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
LOL! What would the neighbors think?

-Eric
I think they'd be tickled pink. My best friend neighbors are on the "seasoned" side, one who with his wife covers watch over my wife and kids whenever I'm on a long biz trip, is an ex-marine who was in the pacific and post war was a firefighter for San Fran till retirement. The other ole' gent is the kinda' guy who would be challenging me with the freshest NRA cap to show off. A bit on the odd side, us San Bruno folks, a little island of defiance so enclosed within the Bay Area bastion of liberals.
Our homes are on the hills kinda' looking over SFO airport, and that 150mm will be just the handy thing to "howl the howitzer" when the likes of Hillary or some other gad-durn Kommie comes a landin' on the runway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts