Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across one today at a gunshow. I take it the "7.7x58 semi-rimmed" ammo is not the same as Type 99 rifle ammo. P.S. The post time is WAY screwed up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I came across one today at a gunshow. I take it the "7.7x58 semi-rimmed" ammo is not the same as Type 99 rifle ammo. P.S. The post time is WAY screwed up.
You are right, the 7.7 semi rimmed is different than the 7.7 rimless used in the rifles and LMGs. There is talk at the Japanese board of filling down the rim and then using the semi rimmed in rifles:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=983

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,794 Posts
Not a good idea. That ammo is loaded hot and the brass is soft. Fired cases come out looking mashed flat at the head.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Since there were no manufacturers of the semi rimmed ammo after the war all the stuff you are finding on the type 92 feed strips is jap or chinese production. A big problem with this stuff is the incredible ability to cause corrosion in record time. I've seen guns fired clean and within an hour the bore is rusty and fluffy. Chambers get pretty nasty too. All the ammo seems to have a mind of its own on timing too. Rate of fire goes up and down. I wouldn't shoot the stuff in a bolt rifle especially after filing rims down.

Frank

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4 fellas! I just wanted to make sure it was MG ammo, not rifle ammo.......that is making sure they are not the same. As I stated elsewhere it is curio/militaria and/or trading fodder. Thanks for all your info and input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts