Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forwarded these to the researcher, need to know what date and manufacturer please, its for sale at Tulsa with or without the canvas pouch.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mortar

Thanks! Wanted to label it correctly, unfortunately this afternoon it gets cut.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
DON'T DRILL THE HOLE! Use a "slot" milled along the back that would be equal to the area of the bore.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mortar

Okay so you are saying cut a slot on the back side horizontally how long and how wide for us mathematically challenged old folks, and will this make the feds happy,,,,they are somewhat picky on this

·
Registered
293 Posts
Okay so you are saying cut a slot on the back side horizontally how long and how wide for us mathematically challenged old folks, and will this make the feds happy,,,,they are somewhat picky on this
I believe that you cut the slot verticially.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Knee mortar

That makes sense, will check with my machinist to see what hes got to do this, normally just use a metal hole cutter right at the reinforced rim, then blue the edges of both the removed plug and hole and reattach with black aquarium sealant,,,better than having the hole and still ATF compliant.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Demilling the Japanese grenade discharger

Crash,
you're method sounds fine and would look ok, don't forget the 'welded obstruction'.

There is a post on these boards about the 'slot' to replace the hole; it is about 3/8" wide and 7.5" long to equal the bore area. Some folks think the slot looks better than the hole; but if you fill in the hole as you plan, it would 'disappear'.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm rather sick/disappointed...I finally won a Type 91 grenade from a guy on Epay...Jokingly asked if he had the Knee Mortar for sale...He said he just sold it two weeks ago...Not demilled, complete with the carrying case...$200!!!

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
can't the knee mortar be "reactivated" by filing a form and paying 200 dollars like you used to be able to do with machine guns?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I thought you can still do that with registered dewats. Many people say you cant get these registered, but I saw a post 1968 RPG for sale that was registered. I would just pay the 200 dollars and have a nice complete mortar.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
I recently read a post to that effect; i.e. you can file a form one and when approved, re-activate the grenade discharger(destructive device) but not MGs. Better check with the BATF if you are serious.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Don,
I know you can no longer register MG's But I am uncertain about the knee mortar. It would be a shame to destroy it beyond being able to reactivate it if it can be legally done for 200 dollars.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
re-activation of grenade discharger/destructive device

Doss published a copy of a letter from BATF in the September 2007 Banzai,
it clearly stated that a 'destructive device' can be reactivated by filing a form 1, having it approved, and paying the $200 tax.

Unfortunately it would have to be deactivated before it could be 're-activated'.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Don,
I think I did read that. Its a shame this guy is looking to make a quick buck instead of spending some time to get it leagally back into the system.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Crash, I'm really interested in the knee mortar you have, especially the strange arsenal marks on it. Are you going to bring it to Tulsa ? Do you have a table ? Please kindly advise how I can see it if you are bringing it to the show. I plan to be there Friday morning.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Knee Mortar

Mortar will undergo the legal process of registration and reactivation.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Hey Crash,
Most people here are advanced collectors and care more about these unique weapons than the money we could get by destoying any historical value. You came here asking US (Japanese collectors) for help. Your the one that stated "it will be cut up and for sale at Tulsa". I just connected the dots. My opinion still stands, I'm glad you will go through the proper channels to make it legal again.I am also a better person than you, as I didn't bash you with insults. I do have a life and if I ever got a grenade discharger I would want to get it legal at all cost.So you have a good day and try not to destoy any more history in the up coming months.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts