Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making a sling for my type 53. Either a couple of peices of cord or rope for the collars or an old leather belt cut up and leather thongs to tie them together. But what would be a good sling to use to get close?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts
...are you attempting to re-create a sling that looks like one used in Vietnam?...kind of a "brush sling"?...many of the T53s never went there, and there are actually slings that were made for the T53 by China, where many T53s remained in use by lower echelon troops, border guards, etc.(IIRC...1950's dated slings and a bit later, I think)...there are a few large posts about the T53 here on the boards...

...I believe our sponsor Rick Reich had some available a short time ago...

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...are you attempting to re-create a sling that looks like one used in Vietnam?...kind of a "brush sling"?...many of the T53s never went there, and there are actually slings that were made for the T53 by China, where many T53s remained in use by lower echelon troops, border guards, etc.(IIRC...1950's dated slings and a bit later, I think)...there are a few large posts about the T53 here on the boards...

...I believe our sponsor Rick Reich had some available a short time ago...
Ive seen wire fin type hangers and leather tied collars. Not exactly sure what would be true Chinese issue. Is there a link to these slings sold by Rick?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check this out if you haven't already...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?228896-Development-Usage-and-Collecting-the-Chinese-T-53-Mosin-Nagant&highlight=themosinator

If you wade through the hundreds of posts, you can find TONS of info, photos, and stuff GunBoards folks have dug up!!...
I've already got it bookmarked. I was looking for the use of recycled russian parts because mine has a bolt with the same serial numbers as the rifle. Also I need a worn sling to match my worn rifle. or else I'll soak it in tea!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?290519-Type-53-with-matching-Russian-bolt

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also does anyone know of a good place for reloadable brass? I'm itching to make up some gallery loads with some 7.62x25 ammo I have laying around.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts
I can't remember...I bought one repro...and one authentic...one was from Rick...the other from another GunBoard member...I just can't for the life of me remember which was which...

...I will try to dig up pics, but my computer has been in a state of disarray...and I'm not promising anything yet...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rick's dog collars had the right look and feel for 40 year old leather, dry and a potentially brittle 'outside' (I don't know the proper term) surface.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts
Yeah...now that you mention it, they were kinda brittle...I like the "shoe string" fasteners too!...different...;)

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After the turkey day food overdose I decided I couldn't stand looking at the russian dog collars on the Type 53 anymore. So I made my own!

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
originals are out there=

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
479 Posts
mine came with a canvas sling cut out of a military looking backpack-i notice yours has rod/bayonet attatched,sadly mine are gone,mines 1955. Janurary,factory 27-what date is the one pictured?

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts