Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here are some photos of the carbine that I was questioning myself about getting because of the bore. The rifle definitely has that been there look to it. If there's anything you guys want a photo of let me know and I'll try and get it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the bore? Weren’t you unsure about the pitting?

The stock seems a little light but these guys usually have had a lot of use...and abuse.
The bore still has some pitting. But I don't think it is bad as I thought. It still isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like an idiot went after it with an abrasive. It would still sell for at least $800 on GB like that. I think the stock is fine.

Check the trap in the buttstock for the cleaning rods. Those alone sell for $300-$400.
No cleaning rods. Yeah I was wondering about the marks on the receiver. Do you think it's from someone with an abrasive or poor machine work? It looks that way even back behind the bolt on the receiver under the bluing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're ever unsure about holding onto it, I'd certainly like to see it in my collection! That rifle has a lot of character for sure. I think the 3rd type bayonet housing is the coolest looking of the three.
Well I might hold on to it for awhile but I'll let you know if I want it let it go. I have seen the first and third variations, but I don't think I've seen the second.

Reactions: 1942Arisaka

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I wouldn't have thought a Type 44 would have machine marks rough enough for wear to look like that.

Almost looks like someone wiped it down with naval jelly. The rust (and bluing) eating stuff. Can't think of what else would cause that. Probably thought it would take rust off, without realizing bluing is a rust process.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't have thought a Type 44 would have machine marks rough enough for wear to look like that.

Almost looks like someone wiped it down with naval jelly. The rust (and bluing) eating stuff. Can't think of what else would cause that. Probably thought it would take rust off, without realizing bluing is a rust process.
Are you just mentioning the bluing or the markings that go from left to right or vice versa. Because those markings are all the way down the receiver. I can see where someone buffed the bluing off around the front of the receiver and down by the serial number. By the way, what is naval jelly?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The marks are also on the bayonet housing also. It looks like grind marks, but is it poor metal finishing?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Naval jelly is a thicker rust dissolver. Generic name but seems lots of people make it now, like Loctite.

Have used some 'Frog' branded jelly on Rusty metal. It left the marks of how the jelly was wiped/smears on. This could be what caused the stripped areas to look like they are, and why they're isolated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Naval jelly is a thicker rust dissolver. Generic name but seems lots of people make it now, like Loctite.

Have used some 'Frog' branded jelly on Rusty metal. It left the marks of how the jelly was wiped/smears on. This could be what caused the stripped areas to look like they are, and why they're isolated.
Thanks for the information on the rust remover. I do believe someone used something on the type 44 I got. To what extent I don't know. But the bluing wear is pretty consistent, even the bayonet has a lot of wear on it except for the parts aren't exposed when it's closed.

Does anybody have an idea of the year this type 44 was made? I've read that they stopped making them in 42 but then I read somewhere they made them till the end?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I believe you are correct. After removing the receiver and barrel out of the stock. The bluing is almost gone in areas. In which you would think it would be protected and the bluing would be there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.