Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend was given this rifle by a neighbor who was moving recently and the story told by that neighbor was that he and another service member had smuggled it aboard ship and brought it back to the states. There it sat till now in the corner of his house. I think it is a fabulouse rifle but have not seen one just like it. Anyone with any info? I will post on the Rising Sun board too but I wanted your guys input too.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics Number 2

More pictures

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
Type 44 Cavalry Carbine. Below the Mum, the top 2 characters read 4 4, with the bottom character meaning "Model". Made by Koishikawa (Tokyo) arsenal. They had a production serial numbers of 0-56,000 from 1911 to about 1933.

Very nice piece. Looks complete with dust cover. Don't clean until you talk with the guys in the Japanese Forum. They can provide a lot of details, e.g. how to determine matching numbers.
Bill

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am posting for the guy who has it, but until he gets signed up he will be monitoring this post. He especially needs disassembly info if anyone has it. Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
If the screws are staked and have never been removed, please think seriously about not doing a disassembly. It will lose value, especially in matching condition.
Be sure to write up any history and get the signature from the persons who brought it back after WWII.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look for the cleaning rod is in the buttstock compartment...

It makes the whole package about $150 more valuable. The complete, matching numbers M44 with sectioned rod might run $500 to $1000+, depending on total condition, etc...

A very nice find, in any case.
peterNaCl

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It makes the whole package about $150 more valuable. The complete, matching numbers M44 with sectioned rod might run $500 to $1000+, depending on total condition, etc...

A very nice find, in any case.
peterNaCl
Cleaning rod is there I just forgot to say anything about it. Other than the light rust and the wood chip out of the butt stock I think it is complete.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Very nice. It's a no series Kokura with first (of three) variation bayonet housing. Don't have my references with me but off the top of my head receiver, bolt, dustcover, and maybe bayonet housing should match the last three numbers of the sn. The rest of the numbers should match a three digit assembly number stamped on the bottom of the receiver. Don't think 44s were staked, but be careful not to chew up the screws if you do decide to disassemble. Too bad about the rust, that does take a good bit off. The rods are harder to find than the gun, probably worth a couple hundred bucks by themselves. A mint, matching first variation Type 44 with matching dustcover and rods could easily bring in $1000 to $1500, maybe more if you could prove provenance. Hard to say what yours would bring considering condition, but you could probably still get close to $1000, maybe more for one so complete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts