Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying this Type 44 Cavalry Carbine and need fellow forum members' assessment of condition; originality; approximate production date and ballpark value.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like a really nice example of one. I am not well versed on the type 44 versions (I think there was 3), but just guessing if numbers were matching it would be worth a lot. I see most selling for $1000-1200 online. How much are they asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a really nice example of one. I am not well versed on the type 44 versions (I think there was 3), but just guessing if numbers were matching it would be worth a lot. I see most selling for $1000-1200 online. How much are they asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Trigunkid; my friend's relative brought it back from WWII and we're trying to get a price to agree on for him to sell it to me. I own a nice Type 18 Murata 11mm BP cartridge rifle and Type 26 pistol so would like to add this Type 44 but am not an expert on this type of carbine. Your estimate of $1000-$1200 online seems to be in the going range. The Mum has been scrubbed if that makes any difference. Any other estimates welcomed. Any good sources for ammo?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with Trigunkid, this is a nice example with a third type bayonet housing...made in the late 1930s. Check to see if the numbers match as well, it increases value. I’m not 100% how series 1 Kokuras are marked but my earlier Kokura has a serial number and assembly numbers (my Nagoya is just matched to the serial number). Most parts should have either number...look on the bolt and internals, floor plate, follower, bolt release, bayonet housing, rear sight, dust cover, trigger...to see the rest, you will have to remove action from the stock to check trigger guard, magazine box, stock...but most buyers are hesitant to do this.

Based on the pictures posted, I would also agree with the previous price range...if it’s all matching to include the dust cover, maybe a little more.

I have three Type 44s, two that have seen heavy use (Calvary use is hard in rifles) and one nice mum’d/matching and love shooting them. 6.5 is pricey so I reload best I can but with generous chambers, brass doesn’t last as long as with other rifles...unless you neck size only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paid about 750 for mine but it has a slight crack in the handguard, which seems pretty common, and is a bit more used. They're a treat to shoot though I would recommend them to anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts