Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the value of a Type 38 with Mum, dust cover, cleaning rod and bayonet. Had been sitting in a guys closet for 50 years, had a good bore. It even has part of the original sling, the rest of it must have broke off from being so dry. It had the soldier who brought it back name nicely painted in cursive on the side of the butt stock. I believe it was Kokura arsenal. Im thinking about buying it, but they want $400. Whats it worth?

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,536 Posts
If the rifle is all matching (including the dust cover) and hasn't been sanded, refinished, etc. then the rifle and bayonet are worth $400+ Pictures would give you a more definitive answer.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Gold Bullet member
1,550 Posts
Cannot really give an accurate evaluation without pictures that show condition, matching numbers or not. $400.00 does not seem very far off if everything on the rifle matches and the finish can be cleaned up nicely.

Chuck

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
Good deal if it matches and still has the mum.

I would leave the name on the stock for sure.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
absolutely. the name on the stock adds to the value in my opinion. i don't think i would have a problem putting out $400 for the package. I was at a local show today and a guy wanted $500 for a nice series 7 with very late features with mum and matching numbers. it was in the 99,000 plus serial number range and needless to say it was still there when i left. the seller was firm on his price even though he is above market value. go figure.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Late 7s are hard to find, if it matched and had the mum, disremember your description, it was worth $500. Ok had mum and was matching, depending on stock condition worth $500-$600.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
i know they are fought o find in any condition, but in this area that is a $350 rifle. Japanese stuff doesnt sell very well here. I am actually thinking of going back tomorrow and buying it, but if i don't make it back i don't think i will be very upset.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
absolutely. the name on the stock adds to the value in my opinion. i don't think i would have a problem putting out $400 for the package. I was at a local show today and a guy wanted $500 for a nice series 7 with very late features with mum and matching numbers. it was in the 99,000 plus serial number range and needless to say it was still there when i left. the seller was firm on his price even though he is above market value. go figure.
They only made roughly 6000 late 7th series "substitute" style rifles. The finish on these always seems thin and blotchy. Like somebody used steel wool on them. My own example is 99207. I don't think 500 is that far off if you be a needin' it to fill a hole in your collection. It is desirable that's for sure.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
They only made roughly 6000 late 7th series "substitute" style rifles. The finish on these always seems thin and blotchy. Like somebody used steel wool on them. My own example is 99207. I don't think 500 is that far off if you be a needin' it to fill a hole in your collection. It is desirable that's for sure.
Yes, but probably only+/- 12 collectors in the country who would "need" one, JMHO; to the rest it is just an old Japanese last ditch rifle that will blow up if you shoot it!;)

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
thats the exact thinking here in PA Don. which is exactly why it was still there on the table when i left. In terms of rarity versus value, these late made series 7s are indeed far rarer than their value.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,536 Posts
Are you certain it doesn't match? The early Type 38 rifles matched via an assembly number; not the last three of the serial number. Somehow this thread got into late 7th series Nagoya Type 99's which is NOT what you have, based on the initial description. If you have a Type 38, it may be matching. Best if you can post some pictures of the serial numnber, boli number and front bayonet band number. Or, tell us what those numbers are. Also the dustcover number.

John in Charlotte, NC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts