Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,, I picked this up a couple of weeks and I thought it was a Type 38 trainer but after close inspection I noticed it is 7.7 mm and has rifling. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
It's a Japanese T-38 training rifle that has the appearance of having been shortened in length. The particular style of safety knob has been noted on the manufacturer that used a simple star logo stamped into the receiver. Does the bolt number match any of those on the rifle receiver?

C/

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
38 Trainer

Nope, bolt numbers do not match. The receiver is stamped 255, so is the barrel and the trigger guard. Here are pics of the bolt.

It's a Japanese T-38 training rifle that has the appearance of having been shortened in length. The particular style of safety knob has been noted on the manufacturer that used a simple star logo stamped into the receiver. Does the bolt number match any of those on the rifle receiver?

C/

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got another question for the experts out there (and yeah, I have ordered 3 books so I can enlighten myself about Japanese rifles so any help in the mean time is highly appreciated). The rear sight is attached to what appears to be a cast iron piece that just rest on top of the barrel and is held in place by the hand guard and barrel lip. Is this a common feature of Type 38 trainers?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
The rear sight is attached to what appears to be a cast iron piece that just rest on top of the barrel and is held in place by the hand guard and barrel lip. Is this a common feature of Type 38 trainers?
Yes, the method you describe and show in the photos is a fairly typical method of retaining the rear sight assembly.

C/

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Neat gun,Rylan, you've been finding some good stuff lately.tho cursed with mismatched bolts, welcome aboard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts