Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I recently picked up a Type 38 carbine with a high serial number (157xxx) and no Kana. I was pleased to discover that it was manufactured in the Tokyo Arsenal prior to 1929. By crude extrapolation, I'm thinking the rifle was born in the early to mid 1920's. Seems to be in good to very good condition wth possibly its original finish. The rifle is mis-matched to a great degree, but came with a dust cover. I think it's a repro, but don't really care. The mum has also been ground off, but in such a way that it doesn't really detract from the look of the rifle. This is a very cool carbine and I can't wait to clean it up and shoot it.

My question concerns the "S" stamped on the side of the barrel. Since the mum is ground I assume this is an indication that the rifle was surrendered. Is this true? I don't think I've seen it on other 99's or 38's with ground mums. Is this a unique mark?

I'll post pics after I get it cleaned and reassembled.

Greg

·
Registered
117 Posts

Here are photos of a Type 38 Carbine and Type 44 with the earlier "B" and later "S" barrel proof marks.

Congrats on your Type 38 carbine acquisition. On top of being light and handy, they really are a dream to shoot.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,404 Posts
The 6,5 cartridges were originally loaded with two types of powder, B which was a flat stick powder and S which was a flat flake powder. S powder is the most commonly encountered one you will see in these cartridges, it is thought the switch over took place somewhere around the late 19 teens or early 1920's, you will see the overload proof tests with the powders marked on the left side of the barrel on the Type 38's.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much, guys! Really appreciate the help!
One wonders why they chose western letters for this. Any ideas?
Greg

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,404 Posts
Thanks much, guys! Really appreciate the help!
One wonders why they chose western letters for this. Any ideas?
Greg

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple of pics of the cleaned up Carbine. Cleaning rod is on the way...

IMG_0037.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts