Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say that I am not a Japanese collector(I'm a Mosin guy) but while at the local Cabelas this week and found an interesting Type 38. It was in rough shape and was marked at $80+tax. I talked them down to $79 otd. Now being that I dont collect these I dont know what I have. From my little research it appears that this may be school marked because it has a number on the buttstock and 00 before the serial number. Any help there? Also how are Type 38s matched? Because the number on the side of the receiver matches nothing but when I disassembled it, the number on the bottom of the receiver matched all the stock parts. One final question, it's missing the cocking piece, firing pin, and spring. Are these hard/expensive to find? Thanks for any help and I'd be glad to post pictures if that would help.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
sounds like a cool find. Firing pin, spring and safety arent any big deal,tho they will cost almost as much as the gun did, however even with miss matched parts you'll be able to sell trade it for a profit,or use it as a shooter.Cocking piece on the arisaka is a "wedge" on the F/p ,it engages with the sear and compresses the spring in the f/p as closed, the safety locks the whole works together, one of the slickest and simplest bolt assemblys. safety stem presses into the bolt turns and boom together comes apart the same way, 2 seconds done and done.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the double 00 before the serial number usual means taken out of military service. although a single 0 may mean a re built rifle.
is the mum defaced or canceled?
is there any import marks?
older 38's are matched by assembly number
tangs, floor plate, trigger, trigger guard, are usually numbered
what is the bore like?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mum is defaced slightly with a file, but it's still visible. There arent any import markings. I think it may be a bringback that was made non firing by removing the cocking piece and the other parts. The bore is pretty rough at the moment but i've only run a couple patches through it. Shooting it would probably help a ton. Is the trigger guard match on the bottom exterior? and also does anyone have any ideas where I could find the missing parts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.