Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Type 38 Folding Carbine Help!

Topic:

Topic author: JWMWITZ
Subject: Type 38 Folding Carbine Help!
Posted on: 06/29/2007 5:11:38 PM
Oh-Boy, this one came out of the woodwork and I have the opportunity to buy it. Can you guys look at the pictures and tell me what you think. Is this the real deal?

The carbine is serial number 99779. It has a complete mum. The bolt is numbered "34" as are some of the hinge parts. There are some screws missing and the stock is in rough shape. Has a cleaning rod, but is missing the safety knob and firing pin.

If it's real (I think it is) can anyone estimate a market price? My guess is $1200-$1500. John in Charlotte, NC
View attachment 13017
Download Attachment:
75.62 KB
View attachment 13019
Download Attachment:
58.47 KB
View attachment 13021
Download Attachment:
59.6 KB
View attachment 13022
Download Attachment:
76.11 KB

Replies:

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 06/29/2007 6:00:56 PM
If this one is a 4th series nag carbine, it is in the serial range of reported TTI carbines.

Each of these is a little different, evidently mostly hand made hinge mechanisms; it looks a lot like mine. I think it is ok, though the latching screw seems to have been monkeyed with and I can't tell about the latch hook as the picture doesn't show it well.

Asking prices on these is $3k to $4k; though the condition on this one is lacking as the stock is cracked even more than usual.

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 06/29/2007 9:54:37 PM
i agree i think it is legit but the latching screw doesnt seem just right. it is a super rare rifle though and even with the serious stock damage it is worth picking up. i would say that the $900 price range seems fair. its going to need some expensive bolt parts, some repro screws, and a stock restoration. its going to be pricey to repair but it will be worth it!

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 06/30/2007 02:12:59 AM
Hi John, In my opinion that carbine is the real deal. I think the hardest part of restoring it would be the woodwork, but absolutly worth restoring. My TT1 carbine is serial #99712 not far off from that one. I've looked at a few of these over the years, either hands on or pics and like 03man said ,they are all different. It looks like the latch mechanism on this one would be the bail type instead of the wing nut type, You'll have to look for 2 holes where the bail would have attached. Jarjarbinks posted some pics on an earlier thread this week that has some more info and good pics for comparing. Good luck and I hope you get it. If you do maybe you could post some more pics of the latch area. Bill B

Replied on: 07/02/2007 4:45:45 PM

Reply author: JWMWITZ
Replied on: 07/02/2007 8:24:03 PM

GOT IT!!! Finalized the deal this afternoon, from way up here in Northern Michigan. Went for less than 1K. It needs some TLC, which I can provide, but I never thought I'd ever have one of these in my collection.

John in Charlotte, NC

Reply author: jarjarbinks11
Replied on: 07/02/2007 9:05:31 PM

Replied on: 07/02/2007 11:55:22 PM
Sounds like a great deal, some guys have all the luck! Even in Michigan.

Reply author: Bill B
Replied on: 07/03/2007 12:57:50 AM
Great Buy, You'll have to keep us updated on the restoration.

Reply author: gtbehary
Replied on: 07/03/2007 4:41:40 PM
I was drooling over one of these last week. I am really glad that it wasn't for sell. I also got to see a Type 0 and a bunch of snipers.

Reply author: Ronin48
Replied on: 07/04/2007 5:46:07 PM
Some years back Harris Opfer (OH) researched these folders, received reports of 30+ along with drawings of the hinge plate screw location.
Not a one were the same and none were identical to the one pictured in MRoJ. I messed around with the screw placements and thought I could see three patterns based on the number of screws and roughly where they were placed.

Had an article from a Japanese magazine that pictured the T-100 b'net. Sent it to a friend in OR who went to shows with a Japanese fellow, (The Japasnese gent was a teenager and in Tokyo when the Dolittle raid came off, he saw one of the planes.)

Back to my story, the bayonet was "identified" as an unknown type,
but the folding stock carbine was mentioned in the article. It noted that when it prooved unsatisfactory for p'troop use those already fabricated were issued to schools as trainers.

Anyone interested in the Opfer article send an SASE and $0.50 to me at P O Box 6, Eva, AL 35621-0006

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 07/05/2007 01:03:06 AM
Heck, I would leave it as is. Any restoration is going to lower the value. It appears it could have been brought back in that condition. Just trying to get screws that look and work right may be the most difficult part and splicing in wood would seem a big no no. But thats just this guys opinion.

Reply author: Francis C. Allan
Replied on: 07/05/2007 9:12:40 PM
The standard Type 38 parts will be easy to find. Don Schlickman can probably dupicate the wood screws needed and the wing nut. Definately a steal at 1k. Nice find. Straightening the sheet metal arms will probably be easy.

I have seen some poor quality photos of Japanese paratroopers using Type 38 carbines. The photos are posed and it seems to me that the posing was deliberately intended to hide the area of the folding mechanism.

Fascinating examples.

Frank

Replied on: 07/05/2007 9:12:54 PM
The standard Type 38 parts will be easy to find. Don Schlickman can probably dupicate the wood screws needed and the wing nut. Definately a steal at 1k. Nice find. Straightening the sheet metal arms will probably be easy.

I have seen some poor quality photos of Japanese paratroopers using Type 38 carbines. The photos are posed and it seems to me that the posing was deliberately intended to hide the area of the folding mechanism.

Fascinating examples.

Frank

Reply author: JWMWITZ
Replied on: 07/19/2007 8:59:58 PM
Carbine arrived today, way up here in the woods of Northern Michigan. It is much nicer than I expected; an easy restoration for the most part. The weird thing is the bolt number. It is numbered 334, and most of the hinge parts, and stamped in front of the floor plate, is the number 34. Coincidence? Anyway, it's all apart and I'm cleaning it piece by piece. The rest of the carbine matches by the last three digits.

I'll post some pics later.

John in Charlotte, NC (currently in MI)

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 07/19/2007 9:18:19 PM
Frank & all, I have some clear photos of navy paratroopers & they all carry standard type 38 (wonder if they were anchor stamped?) carbines. I hope one day to see a period photo of a folder or a type 2 in action!

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 07/19/2007 9:36:16 PM
Nice rifle...Tho I thought Im the only collector in northern michigan...(not really ,theres at least one more over in Baraga area).

Replied on: 07/20/2007 3:42:24 PM

I think the bolt and folding mechanism both having 34 is just a coincidence as you noted. The bolt should match the serial number.

The 34 probably appears on the right side of the folding mechanism, both tangs and on top of the butt plate tang. Most people miss that last one.

Frank

1 - 1 of 1 Posts