Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious why you see more type 38's with untouched crest? My two 38's have their crest. Is it because the Type 38 might have been pulled from front line service? Thanks. Ed

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,942 Posts
My feeling on that is that intact mums are battlefield captures and scrubbed mums are end of war surrenders. Even the Japanese rifles surrendered to China got scrubbed mums before surrender.

Of course there are always individual exceptions.

I suspect the Japanese were taking T38 rifles from schools to put back into service rather than pulling T38 rifles from service.

They were not making spears to defend Japan if they had plenty of rifles.

It seems like - of rifles owned by collectors - I see more intact mums. Of rifles for sale I see more scrubbed mums, for obvious reasons. Collectors tend to snatch up intact mums.

Obligatory photos below.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
My feeling on that is that intact mums are battlefield captures and scrubbed mums are end of war surrenders. Even the Japanese rifles surrendered to China got scrubbed mums before surrender.

Of course there are always individual exceptions.
Examples dispute that theory. There are plenty of mint unground examples that obviously never saw combat. They just, somehow, escaped the grinder. One thing about this hobby is that you can never generalize something like this.
I don't think this T-44 ever saw a day of combat

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Gents for the input. Both my Type 38 carbine and my Type 44 have the ground Mum. Also in my collection is a Type 94 Nambu, a Type 14 Nambu and a Type 26 pistol. I am enjoying getting back in to the Japanese firearms

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Ditto to A'Dog's comments. Here's another minty, unground and all matching Type 44. When I was searching the butt trap for rods, I found a card from the U.S. Army GI who brought it back. He was a member of the post-war occupation forces and lived in Missouri after he left the service.

C/

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.