Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently purchased a sporterized arisaka. I paid $100 for it, so I figured, why not? I did a little digging as the shop didn't know much. Its a type 38 carbine with chopped stock, peened mum and drilled for a scope. A scope clearly was never mounted. The bolt is bent. The rear swivel was removed a filled in. There's speckled rust all over. It has a small tang safety. The bolt doesn't match or the floor plate. It seems to be made pre 35 due to the lack of series mark and a six digit serial number. (179xxx). It was made at Tokyo. The arsenal name escapes me at the moment. I bought this as a project to get my foot in the door of Arisakas. I know full well ill lose money and that's fine. What id like to know is what the history is on my rifle and of t38 carbines in general. What's good 6.5 ammo and what to shy away from. What's a good place to start researching and collecting in general. Thanks in advance!

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
You picked a good place to start, by coming here. Read my signature line, then go to the stickies up top. They'll tell you what books to get. As far as your carbine goes, it's a lost cause. Put a scope on it, and shoot it. No matter what you do to it, it'll never be correct, or be worth much more than what you paid. Never buy a firearm, that isn't worth the sum of it's parts. This one isn't.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Trenchfoot pretty well summed it up, a repro stock will cost more than you paid for the carbine, if you can find one. Scope it and shoot it. Azgunso or Mac'sGuns sell 6.5 ammo, someone can give you the correct email addresses. Frank Allan's, "The Type 38 Arisaka" is the "Bible" on Type 38s, but I suggest you began with Fred Honeycutt's "Military Rifles of Japan. For an Arisaka overview it cannot be beat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! Ill just save the money it would take to unsporterize it and put into books and ammo. Japanese weapons are foreign to me (no pun intended). Im excited to learn and expand my collection. Now I'm going to sell a couple of rifles to free up some funds and space.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Always be patient, save your money, and buy quality. Then you don't have to make excuses. And, when comes time to sell, you'll get top dollar. Nice Type 38 carbines are selling for $3-600.00 right now. The top figure will get you matching, mum, and cleaning rod. Maybe even matching dust cover. A couple nice ones have been offered here, on both the main, and Japanese traders. We're all a bunch of cheapskates. There's some juicy deals go down on the trader. Like this morning, an Italian Vetterli/Vitali WITH ORIGINAL LONG BAYONET, $350.00 shipped! The bayonet it worth more than that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.