Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy to run across this Type 38 as it is all matching numbers and had a sling. Unfortunately, I suspect the sling is later war while the carbine is probably earlier.

Any info on year of mfg for the carbine would be appreciated. SO, should I repair the delamination of the sling (best I have found would be to squirt clear silicon inbetween layers) and/or keep it with the carbine?

Kind of gross, when I got the carbine it was near impossible to work the bolt due to some kind of dark goop mucking it all up so I did a deep clean and found where the black goop was all the finish was gone. When I started wiping down the stock, the white rag came out rusty brown, thinking it may have been blood gumming up the action. I just left what was still on the stock at that time in place.

Thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

Jim

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,566 Posts
Hey Jim, can't quite tell, but I think the series mark is a 5th series, arsenal is Nagoya and these were made from June 1941 to September of 1942 (per Frank Allen's book). Looks to be all original. The gunk on the stock/action is most likely grease and can be removed with warm water and dish soap. The sling is a Type 38 rifle sling made of laminated canvas. It has been a challenge of mine to re-laminate these and have a process for doing it. It takes a lot of time... does your sling have the buckle, keepers and button?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.