Gunboards Forums banner

Type 38 Carbine prices

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  WillRuss 
...I've seen two non-matching, ground mum carbines sell for $250 in the last week on gunbroker.
Yeah, one of those was this one:

I've wanted a T38 Carbine for years. I couldn't afford a matching / mummed example, though, so this "shooter grade" will work for me as a first for the collection. Perhaps I'll upgrade at some point in the future.

The bore cleaned up quite nicely and Murphy's Oil Soap removed quite a bit of dirt. One thing does puzzle me, though, in that it all matches to the serial or assembly number, except for the bolt body, firing pin and safety (which match each other), but the extractor matches the assembly number. Maybe somebody in the past tried to find matching number parts and could only find the extractor. In any case, the mum is 90% gone so I don't think it's worth investing lots of money to find the right bolt part numbers.

I do have one question, though: With Koishikawa carbine production ending at around 212K in 1935, would it be safe to assume that this one was made around 1934?

I hadn't really looked at the prefix until now, but I believe the extractor prefix does match. (The 806 number is stamped under the receiver so it's not just replacement bolt stop and extractor parts.) Perhaps the bolt handle pic will help with identification, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.