Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Please don't destroy an original long rod, to make a 'repro' short rod.

Watch the online auctions, or if a repro is ok, buy one from Don Schlickman.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi Contra. :

If you have an old 38 rifle rod that has damaged threads, has been cut to a different length, it can be used to fill a hole till a good one comes along. By the same token you can cut it down to carbine length and use it till an original comes your way, now if you machine it and apply the correct thread pitch, it is as good as an original.
Where you might get nitpicked by a purist is if the original proof markings are the wrong ones like a Tokyo rod in a Nagoya or Mukden carbine. There are some rare rods that you would not cut or modify such as Mexican Arisaka, brass tipped 38, Siamese T-66.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
Hi Contra. :

If you have an old 38 rifle rod that has damaged threads, has been cut to a different length, it can be used to fill a hole till a good one comes along. By the same token you can cut it down to carbine length and use it till an original comes your way, now if you machine it and apply the correct thread pitch, it is as good as an original.
Where you might get nitpicked by a purist is if the original proof markings are the wrong ones like a Tokyo rod in a Nagoya or Mukden carbine. There are some rare rods that you would not cut or modify such as Mexican Arisaka, brass tipped 38, Siamese T-66.
Vicasoto
Yoda, this is over the top. You're not serious are you? Unbelieveable :(
I thought you were a collector.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Oh my, not just turned screws; but modified rods!

If you just want to fill the hole, get a repro. Someday you may have a rifle for that rifle rod.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
Vic....Blasphemy. Modified rods? did bubba just speak?

OP- Plenty of both cheap and quality repos if your not too serious and filling a hole. I fully understand and condone that. Modifying existing original rods is downright foolish. If you feel this is an option, sell the rod, buy a repop and have money left for ammo, whiskey, Mcdonalds or to treat significant other. Everyone wins.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hi Contra. :

Vicasoto
This chopped down type 38 rod came with a batch of Arisaka parts. My type 99s have the correct type of rods. I don't own a type 38 carbine; so Don and I discussed the idea of cutting it to length (about 19")...

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Ok Folks ! :

What is a Type 38 short rifle ?, a recycled long rifle with the barrel shortened and remachined to accept the original front band. I have seen original Tokyo rods that are now short rifle length, one such rod cut but not machined or threaded was in a mint short rifle wood. So the Japanese shortened old rods and when needed made new ones for these conversions. Cross threaded or worn out threads can only be repaired by a 1/2 shortening and rethreading in the field, that explains rods that are slightly shorter than the book says. So it is no crime to shorten an old rod and convert it to short rifle or carbine length.
This is no crime, they are not creating a new firearm, just recycling an old broken down rod. Good God fellows, blasphemy ?, these were implements of war, tools of the soldier trade, killing weapons. A damaged original rod is no use to the soldier who must clean his weapon by using the kit extensions and components with his rifle rod. A repaired rod will allow the screwing of the kit compnents, if too short an additional extension will be just fine.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ok Folks ! :

What is a Type 38 short rifle ?, a recycled long rifle with the barrel shortened and remachined to accept the original front band. I have seen original Tokyo rods that are now short rifle length, one such rod cut but not machined or threaded was in a mint short rifle wood. So the Japanese shortened old rods and when needed made new ones for these conversions. Cross threaded or worn out threads can only be repaired by a 1/2 shortening and rethreading in the field, that explains rods that are slightly shorter than the book says. So it is no crime to shorten an old rod and convert it to short rifle or carbine length.
This is no crime, they are not creating a new firearm, just recycling an old broken down rod. Good God fellows, blasphemy ?, these were implements of war, tools of the soldier trade, killing weapons. A damaged original rod is no use to the soldier who must clean his weapon by using the kit extensions and components with his rifle rod. A repaired rod will allow the screwing of the kit compnents, if too short an additional extension will be just fine.
Vicasoto
The shortened rod I have was cut down by Bubba. It wasn't done by the Japanese or the Red-Chinese even post war. No new threads either. Somebody f----- up the last few inches of the 30+ inch barrel; so this became my 22" sporterized hunting rifle rather than being junked.

I do have an original type 38 barrel and sights that will fit this action; but no tools or much time to rebarrel another type 38. Already have two rifles that remain in military dress...

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
I know what youre saying, it isnt a crime it just isnt original. I also think the reasoning is faulty and could be used to condone rebluing (arsenal done on 38 short rifles and other refurbs) and renumbering parts to match (again like refurbs) or hell, even cutting down a type 38 rifle to make a type 38 short rifle. While these were once weapons of war they are now collectables and theyre value is in their originality. The OP never made prior mention of an already ruined rod, which is different than chopping up a otherwise respectable long rod. I do not support rethreading the rod. While it maybe an innocent reproduction today, one day someone will believe or be led to believe that the rod is original and correct and could even spin as far as future collectors thinking it could be "a new threading variation". Now I have advised people on replacing ruined stocks, missing rods, wings, pods etc and have done such myself, as have most here. I just think when you start making alteration to the parts to make them correct, a line has been crossed. It should be noted, that my personal standards need not apply to anyone but me. I am just voicing my opinion on a situation to which I disagree.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Mike is correct, no mention of a cut down or defective rod:

Does anyone know of a source for a type 38 Carbine cleaning rod? Would it work to cut down a Type 38 rifle rod to the proper length? Thank You. Contra.
Later Vic says "if you have", then someone else says 23"; it would be a lot clearer to just say what you mean. I have no idea if the 23" rod has threads, if so it may be a correct 38 short rifle rod.

I stick with my original statement; please do not cut up an original rifle rod. Up to you of course, it is yours.

One thing we never lack for here are opinions!;)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Mike is correct, no mention of a cut down or defective rod:

Later Vic says "if you have", then someone else says 23"; it would be a lot clearer to just say what you mean. I have no idea if the 23" rod has threads, if so it may be a correct 38 short rifle rod.

I stick with my original statement; please do not cut up an original rifle rod. Up to you of course, it is yours.

One thing we never lack for here are opinions!;)
The Bubba who cut off this type 38 rod didn't even clean up the tip which is still a mess. I don't have a type 38 carbine and my two rifles have the correct length of rods in them.

A third type 38 had a butchered barrel; so I cut it down to a clean 22 inches and made a sporter of this one, rather than destroy a good rifle. No need for a rod any way...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts