Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a gentleman offer me a Type 30, but I'm not an expert on them by any means. As far as I know it's a mismatch and is missing the cleaning rod, which I hear is a bit of an impossible item to find. Stock looks like it might be sanded, but again I'm not sure what the stock should look like. Only cartouche is a "70" under the forestock. Everything else is all there. Any thoughts? I'm not used to looking at rifles online to buy, so I don't want to miss over anything and get a subpar example. He was looking for $450, which I think may be the high end for it.

Thanks for the opinions!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,084 Posts
Not bad, but there's one on GB currently in very similar condition with cleaning rod with the same starting price ($450).

I can't tell from the photos about sanding, but the stock color definitely looks off to me.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The reason I asked about the sanding was due to the lip of the butt plate hanging off the stock a bit and how far the magazine and floorplate seem to stick out of the stock.

I just looked up the one on GB and the cleaning rod doesn't look to have the brass tip style. I was under the impression the Type 30's all used a cleaning rod with a brass tip.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I'm no subject matter expert on the Type-30's but everything looks ok to me. As for the cleaning rod, yes on the brass tip!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I picked up a nice type 30 last month less than 100 numbers off on the serial from yours. It is early in production and 118 years old so dont expect the stock finnish to look like whats in the barrel channel. Also the mum on yours does not have the "sold out of service" overstamp which makes it less common. You can get a repro cleaning rod for less than 40 bucks and I may get one for my t30 carbine. My t30 rifle does have the original one. It is a hard to find Arisaka. Also the rear sight looks like the original early style.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you gentlemen. Turns out the seller is only about 3 hours from me and we struck a deal at $380 and I'm going to meet him halfway. I haven't seen a Type 30 for sale locally that wasn't sporterized and I think for the price this will be a nice representation. I'll try finding a repro rod for it too. For some reason it bothers me when I have Japanese rifles without the cleaning rod, but I never care with Mosins, ha!

Should I email Don directly? I looked on his site and didn't see the repros available.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a fair price, I hope you like it. I just looked at Dons site, look under cleaning rods, not type 30 parts. They are there for 30 bucks.
Thank you. I'll post detailed photos tomorrow. I might be crazy, but I went to his site and I still couldn't find it. Unless I'm looking at the wrong one, haha! If you could shoot me a PM or post the link here I'd appreciate it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.