Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So i got a new Arisaka type 30 bayonet and i am trying to solve its age. It has a Tokyo/Kokura arsenal marking and a serial number of 1565215. So what might be the aprox year of manufacture?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Great bayonet and frog! Looks like one of the bayonets and frogs that ended up in Finland post WW1, and by the look of your wood floor I'd guess you're in Finland or Sweden? The number 15 in the serial number is the 15th series, while the rest of the numbers are the actual serial number. Not sure on a date but I'd be comfortable saying pre or contemporary WW1.

The early frog with the square aluminum buckle is though to find and seems to pop up in Europe more than the states. Check the back of the frog near the bottom of the belt loops for markings. They typically have a number of interesting markings including the date. Jon

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I figured Finland, that combination of early bayonet and frog show up in Finland quite a bit. The rig certainly dates at or before the Finnish Civil War, however I'm not sure if it would have made its way to Finland before the end of WW1. I'd love to see the pics of the Frog but they're not showing up. Jon

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Great frog! Glad to see a few of the original markings are present! The marking encircled by black is the Tokyo logo, the same as on your bayonet. The character encircled by red is the number three. In this case denoting the Taisho year three , or 1915. The character encircled by green was stamped sideways but should be viewed with the lines running vertically, like on your bayonets pommel. It's the character Kawa or Gawa, it means river. Though in this case it's an abbreviation for the inspectors name , such as Nakagawa or kawasaki. Who knows what the actual name was.....

You have a great rig! Jon

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very interesting stuff. I see that the scabbard is also the very early one with no cone around the screw, so it all fits. Re date, I know of an example marked to the Royal Marines, and it is numbered 1553252, so your bayonet must have been made in 1914 or 1915 at the latest.
I assume that each 'series' consists of 100,000 bayonets. Is this a collectors' term, or does it have significance to the production process?
Cheers,
Tony

·
Registered
403 Posts
Great bayonet and frog! Looks like one of the bayonets and frogs that ended up in Finland post WW1, and by the look of your wood floor I'd guess you're in Finland or Sweden? The number 15 in the serial number is the 15th series, while the rest of the numbers are the actual serial number. Not sure on a date but I'd be comfortable saying pre or contemporary WW1.

The early frog with the square aluminum buckle is though to find and seems to pop up in Europe more than the states. Check the back of the frog near the bottom of the belt loops for markings. They typically have a number of interesting markings including the date. Jon
Which '15' is the 15th series?
Regards,
JMB

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tony,
This is an early Kokura (Tokyo) arsenal which has been reworked (blued). Sometimes when reworked serial was applied to pommel as well. Inspection mark on muzzle ring was done at rework too. Don't know about additional inspection marks on pommel but I'd say that was done during rework too.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Jon,
The Royal Marines bayonet was on the Great War Forum:
http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/227140-naval-rifles-ii/&

As you seem to be very knowledgeable about the markings on these bayonets, I have posted some shots of an early one I got just before Christmas. I assume all the marks are inspectors' marks, but it does have a few!
Cheers,
Tony
Hello Tony,

Great link, thank you! I've long been interested in European used Type 30 bayonets but don't find a lot of useful information.

You have a very early tang serialized Type 30 made by Koishikawa/Tokyo arsenal. Kokura didn't begin production until the mid 30's, your bayonet was made decades before they produced bayonets.

The inspection marks, other than the O or 0 on the pommel, all look to be original to the piece. The wood used for the grips is unusual. The washers/escutcheonson the left grip have a slightly domed appearance, something occasionally seen on much later Kokura refurbished bayonets. Have you had the grips off? Original grips typically have an assembly number stamped, penciled or inked/painted on each panel.

The blade doesn't look blued, is it?

The scabbard is a much later produced variation.

Neat example. Jon

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tony, apologies for misleading you. I thought your bayonet was in the blue. Jon, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge of type 30's. I should probably do more observing and less commenting. Went through mine and found two of these( serialed tang ), neither were blued and neither had the domed washer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi guys,
Interesting comments re the grips and washers. Usually I don't like to disturb the grips as I like the sleeper look! I'll have a look next weekend though to see if the grips on this one will come off easily.
A year ago I wasn't expecting to be able to find examples of the early Koishikawa ones with the serial on the tang, but now I have 3, though will be surprised to get another earlier than 7750!
Cheers,
Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.