Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enclosed are pictures of a very nice Type 26 revolver rig that has surfaced along with a Type 94 rig from a Marine who served in Okinawa. The family didn't even knew he had these pistols until he died recently. If I got my numbers right the Type 94 was made in May 1943 BTW this probably the nicest Type 94 rig I have ever seen.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Must have been a stretch to get that pouch on the shoulder strap, they are normally on the waist belt.

·
Copper Bullet Member
124 Posts
A local collector I know casually mentioned to me that he had a type 26 rig that he might sell but hasn't told me the price, kind of like, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. And knowing him, he only has top notch stuff. So what are the price ranges for this revolver and what about ammo? I do a lot of reloading but I don't believe I've ever come across brass for this gun.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chances are you won't find brass for it. I have two type 26 revolvers and reload for them using 38 S&W brass or cut down 38 special brass. Thing is the rim is thin. Like .030. So you have to turn down the rim in a lathe reducing the amount of the rim from the front. Sounds complicated but it isnt. Mr nambu offers reloaded ammo for the type 26. It will accept any standard 9mm bullet. I use 125 grain hard cast in mine with trail boss powder.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Some .38 S&W rounds will chamber, if they have "minimum" rims and the revolver has "max" back space.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Check to see if the chambers were cut just a bit deeper to accept the .38 S&W rounds. Many 26's were modified in this way to fire the .38 S&W without the revolver being stamped to show the modification. I have one with no markings but the chambers have been cut for the .38 S&W. On a side note, on this revolver the Japanese 9mm round will still load but sets to low for the firing pin to make contact.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Check to see if the chambers were cut just a bit deeper to accept the .38 S&W rounds. Many 26's were modified in this way to fire the .38 S&W without the revolver being stamped to show the modification. I have one with no markings but the chambers have been cut for the .38 S&W. On a side note, on this revolver the Japanese 9mm round will still load but sets to low for the firing pin to make contact.
This modification for 38S&W was done by the Japanese? What would the stamp look like?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Modification was done in the U.S. post WWII. If marked may be a stamp on the receiver something like ".38 S&W". I've seen them marked a couple of different ways. Maybe a member has one that can post photos of the markings.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi Guys!

Buffalo Arms sells the 9mm Nambu cases but they are out of stock right now. I've also purchased them on Gunbroker.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/9mm_Japanese_Revolver_Reloading_Brass_it-157915.aspx?TERM=9mm nambu

The T-26 is a nice shooting gun and the 9mm Nambu pretty much the same as the 38 S&W. I would caution to reloader to use only "Cowboy Action" type loads since the break top design is not that robust. I find that "Trailboss" is a pretty good powder to use in either the .38 SW or the 9mm Nambu.

Here is my example that has been converted to .38 SW post war and stamped with the new caliber by the gunsmith.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure enough the cylinders have been modified to accept .38 S&W ammo. Also interesting small character stamped on the cleaning rod.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.