Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at buying the below type 2. It is all matching, but unsure what a rifle like this goes for. I've always wanted to own one since I started collecting, and now have the opportunity. Let me know what you think about the condition an what one would normally pay. Thanks as always for any advice you can give! Here are the pics:

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
Need to know if the number on the root of the bolt matches the last three digits of the serial number. Need to know if the numbers on either side of where it comes apart are the same. The mum has been scrubbed and the whole are polished to look like it never had one. Also the ears on the front sight are gone. Post that information and someone will price it for you. riceone.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I think someone posted this rifle before in regards to the white stripe and lack of mum. I seem to recall some thought it was a bit bogus. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
i too remember this rifle as being bogus. the white line is from the camera flash. the mum has been ground off, then the receiver was refaced, and reblued over top. id pass on it unless it is priced sub $500

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hello mbarrad:

This rifle has been shown before here on the board, and the above comments should be enough to make you look at it a second time before making a decision.
As a guideline, mint-mum-matching down to dustcover-rod; depending on where you locate one, who is selling it, show/auction/internet, will determine the final price. Something like that will go for two to two point five grand easily. An average one ground and matching one to two thou.
The one in the picture is iffy without details if matching, lets just say 500 to 750 would be a fair price.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With enough information y'all have given me, I will pass on the rifle. He wanted $1995 which is too much. Now the search for a better one. Thanks guys. I still would like to know what the white line is for. Did not understand what Roy meant or referenced. I definately do not want a refinished receiver which is what I see.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,424 Posts
Hello Mike :

Here is a question, could there be a possibility that the receiver groove line was an aid to use with the "B" variation T-100 grenade launcher which has a line on the back of the cup to prevent canting of the rifle while discharging a grenade ?.
Vicasoto

·
Copper Bullet member
305 Posts
This rifle comes out of a shop in Houston...it may be on the show circuit right now. I've been looking at it for at least eight years (every time I go in the store) just to see if the price ever goes down. All the sellers I've dealt with in there seem to think it was done post war, yet the price has only come down a couple of hundred in the last 3 years. The line is indeed a cut groove about 3/4 of a mm deep at least (if I recall) that has been painted white, along with the serial number, designation kanji, sight numbers, etc.

I like Vic's theory but I'm not smart enough to figure out if this is something original to the rifle or done later. I'm the world's worst at telling when things have been re-blued, etc., so I can only contribute that the line is not a camera flash. :eek: Zach

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Mike :

Here is a question, could there be a possibility that the receiver groove line was an aid to use with the "B" variation T-100 grenade launcher which has a line on the back of the cup to prevent canting of the rifle while discharging a grenade ?.
Vicasoto
If the groove line was put in at war time for the grenade launcher, wouldn't the line disappear with the mum when it was ground off?

Maybe it was regrooved, reblued and refinished by a previous owner (post war) to make the groove more apparent thus giving it a non-factory appearance? Just a thought.

Very good suggestion Vic. The groove looks like it had a purpose at one time.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,136 Posts
Who would have had authority to remove the Emperor's mum and mill a groove down the top of the receiver and pain it white. I think it was don post war to cover up the ground mum and to make some person think just what has been said. riceone.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
There is one at the Hampton VA show right now, matched and mummed including DC for $2450 (if I recall from one glance). Finish on rear portion metal has been stripped by something funky.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the questions I emailed to the dealer:

"Had some questions on the paratrooper rifle that I hope you can answer.

- Need to know if the number on the root of the bolt matches the last three digits of the serial number.

- Need to know if the numbers on either side of where it comes apart are the same.

- The mum looks like it has been scrubbed and the whole are polished to look like it never had one. Do you have any idea why this was done?

- Also the ears on the front sight are gone. Do you have the ears with the rifle?

Thanks."

Here is their response:

Dear Mike,
Regarding item #R3511, the number on the root of the bolt DOES match the last three digits of the serial number. The numbers on both sides of the rifle where it detaches are the SAME. There was never a mum on this particular rifle. Furthermore, we do NOT carry the ears for this firearm. We thank you for your interest, and if you have any further questions please contact Adam at 1-877-214-9327.

Best Regards.
Collectors Firearms

I guess they are not aware that there was an Emperor in Japan during WWII. All Arisakas in service had a mum at one time.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
There ain't no replacing of the ears on these. If they are gone, you can only replace the front sight. These aren't rare, only expensive. Invest in a better one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.