Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up over the weekend:

Type 2 paratrooper, Nogoya serial #11, all matching, rod present, mum ground. Stock refinished and staked screws previously manipulated. Blue in poor shape. Moderate surface rust was present, but it cleaned up well:

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
What a crime! 2 digit guns are hard enough to find let alone a type 2.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello ronjeremy:

Is the T-2 matching ?, if so what is the assembly number at the parting halves ?. The assembly number should be on the left side of the halves, on the wire bail nut on the right side, on the left side of the barrel below the rear sight, and on the receiver left side forward of the serial number. The bolt assembly and bayonet lug should match the rifle number.
The above is typical to Type-2s, but there maybe some variations in the very early rifles like yours, could you look at it and tell me where else you find either rifle or assembly numbers ?. It is a rare piece despite being refinished, am happy for you.
Vicasoto

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Vicasoto, it is all matching including all components of the bolt. I looked it over carefully and can only find the number 11 on both halves. The number is faintly visible on the last picture, on the right side, right of the left screw. It is also numbered 11 on the front side of the receiver, which is also visible on that picture. The left / barrel side is numbered 11 on the bottom. The bale is numbered 11 too. The "ramp" or the wedge appears to have a number 5 stamped on the top (where the wedge comes in contact with the barrel), but I assume this is for the size of the wedge, because the outside part of the wedge is still numbered 11.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Do you have a later, higher numbered specimen to compare it too? Are there any differences, othere than the ass. #? are

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
assembly number

Note that the assembly number of 11 is stamped ABOVE the stock line to the extreme left of the receiver. Several low numbered rifles have this number stamped below the stock line so that it is not confused with the serial number. I guess it did not matter in this case since it is the same number. Interesting.

Frank

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Note that the assembly number of 11 is stamped ABOVE the stock line to the extreme left of the receiver. Several low numbered rifles have this number stamped below the stock line so that it is not confused with the serial number. I guess it did not matter in this case since it is the same number. Interesting.

Frank
Frank,
Do you want your address in the signature line of your posts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
gotta ask

How much? 3 figures or 4 or more?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hello traffic142 :

Funny you should ask :)
It is a loaded question that begs speculation, 999 is three figures. 1000..................... to X999 only the God of collectors knows for sure.
Being the earliest production T-2 known now makes it quite unique as less than 20000 rifles were made. All early reported have been three digits so far.
Vicasoto

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Neat to have number 11!
Wasn't there a number 6 that was auctioned with a T44 bayonet mounted on it? Was that feature ficticous or a documented variant?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
CW :

There are two such "pre-production" / test pieces # 11 photographed in MRofJ and the one you mentioned that auctioned recently. Those two have the locking wedge and bail on the left side of the receiver and # 7 had the folding bayonet, and # 11 a normal 3 screw front band. Neither had any Type markings on top of the receiver or Mum and are considered test / pre-production pieces.
The ronjeremy rifle # 11 is now the earliest known production Type -2 ( mum ground ) so stamped from the serial number range 1 to 20000.
Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet member
622 Posts
I have never separated the barrel & receiver of my type 2. Would someone tell me how to unlock it? Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi ATS76 :

That is a surprising question as the one feature of the Type -2 rifle is the fact that it comes appart in two halves for storage and transportation.
Just unscrew the round nut with the wire bail on the right side of the receiver, pull it sideways extracting the locking wedge, and pull appart the rifle halves.
Technically speaking the barrel and chamber are part of the front half, the empty receiver & bolt are part of the rear half. The wedge is what holds the halves together when the rifle is fired.
Vicasoto

·
Silver Bullet member
622 Posts
The lock nut was so tight and I was unable to unscrew it by hand. I was afraid to break the wire loop. I put some WD40 on the screw and loosen it today. Thanks for your help.

All bolt parts & receiver are matching. Front & rear were re-stamped with same assemble number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts