Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I purchased two Type 99 Arisaka’s at a veterans estate auction. There were 6 there. All ‘last ditch’ with wood buttplates, fixed rear sights........
One had the stock cut down and only one had the mum. The garage they were in was dark and I did not bring a light (never forget your light). In fact I was a little rattled because I had just bought what I thought was a Winchester M-1 carbine when some idiot behind me said it was a Universal. He turned out to be wrong, it was an original GI.

I was upset enough I missed the one with the mum and managed to purchase one without the bolt parts and one of the others. When I got them home and began recording numbers I discovered they both had mismatched bolts (never forget your light). Then I realized they had just been switched. Just plain dumb luck but I had managed to end up with all matching parts, but not all the parts.

These are both 25 series Kokura’s. Since the common thoughts are many of these were never issued I wonder if all 6 were all Kokura’s from the same storage area. Both of these have identical ‘duffel cuts’ with some sawdust still under the barrel band.

How high did Kokura go on the 25th series? One of these is 82303 and the other is 91591. Since the later rifles probably didn’t see any action do they have higher survival rates than guns that were issued and used?

Also the stock on one is much darker than the other rifle. Is this likely something that was done by the previous owner?

Both have crudely done wood and metal work but have the early shaped bolt handle.

Thanks for any comments you can offer.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
I'm not sure where you got those "common thoughts" on never being issued, first I've heard of it. From the looks of your rifles, they were issued and used, JMO.

Kokura kept the early bolt handle throughout production.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean,
thanks for the info. That explains why the cuts are so uniform.

Don't recall for sure but ran across them trying to figure out the series number. I would not hold them in high esteem if you disagree. thanks for the info.
Any opinion on the dark wood?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I like to argue with Don,so while not unissued, Id accept a lot of late rifles were found in depots,army arsenals and warehouses occupation period,which lead to the "Unissued" misnomer..late '44 early 45 there wasnt that much stuff leaving Japan,most of it was being issued to home units and stock piled for the final "shattered gem" battle against the evil gaijin,lol...some late war guns did make it out,but as late as those rifles or a 20 date T-94,where was it gonna go off island?Maybe some of them made it to okinawa,maybe.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
"Unissued" is a lot different from "never left the home islands"!

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the clarification davef.
Is there a list somewhere of know numbers? I am wondering how close the 91591 is to the end? The only chart I can find shows a high number of 92,000. Was not sure if they went past that or not.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
Thanks for the clarification davef.
Is there a list somewhere of know numbers? I am wondering how close the 91591 is to the end? The only chart I can find shows a high number of 92,000. Was not sure if they went past that or not.
not until someone reports a higher number.

The only lists of reported numbers are in the Banzai T 99 book, Fred lists the highest number observed in MROJ.

Both are out of date by some numbers, I expect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.