Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got around to shooting both of these rifles today with ammo that was one month younger then me. The first one has almost no blueing left and a jacked up follower that spits out the last round in the mag. It has not been back bored and fired every time I pulled the trigger. Couldn't hit the side of a barn with it even if I pressed the muzzle right up to it.

The next one has most of it's blueing 95-98% and has all around good fit and funtion other then a worn out firing pin spring and being back bored. I swaped the springs and this thing hit the target every time.

So now on to my question. With both of these listed in my bond book (C&R) How would I go about takeing the action from the jacked up one and turning it into a target rifle? Would the ATF blow a gasket if I took it out of stock form? As it stands now the rifle is worth nothing to me. I have no need of a rifle that can't hit anythig. So bottom line is it ok to modify a gun that you ordered with your C&R?

·
Gold Bullet member
458 Posts
Happens all the time. The ATF could care less, the purists on the forum though...... You have a number of options though....

1. Replace the barrel

2. Replace the barrel with a military NOS 7.62 NATO Barrel from Coles Distributing

3. Do what you want

On your bound book, you can leave it as is, if it can still be be put back in military configuration for sale/trade, if it can't mark it out to yourself and annotate removed from C&R status/sporterized

Ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I think I found out why there are so bad. The test firing the other day must have loosend up some of the gunk because now I cant run a patch through them with it coming out black and green. I thought I had most of the gunk out before shooting them. guess I was wrong. going to do the hot soapy water trick to get the gunk out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I read about the brush and patch trick first over on the Collector's Forum and tried it on a K98. The patches came out way black and green for like a hundred patches or so, now that barrel is bright and shiny. Very accurate rifle.

If you haven't tried this, basically, you take a .30 cal or 8mm copper brush and wrap a patch around it, then dip the thing either all the way or halfway into some Hoppe's. The brush forces the patch it's wrapped around into invisible little nooks and crannies along the barrel and gets the fouling out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I have done that before. I got them as clean as there going to get for right now. I think a few cycles of shooting and cleaning should polish the bore out. I have about 360 rounds left. I'll do a light cleaning every 5-10 rds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rifling looks good. Just some junk and slight pitting. I think I got most of the copper fouling out. I will put some more rounds down range tomorrow.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, I was also going to say that if you'd tried the "patch trick" and that wasn't doing it, then scrubbing the barrel out while it's still really hot from shooting ought to.

I still do the patch trick as routine maintenance on all my rifles, but I've lived in really humid climates (both hot and cold) for many years. It's amazing what will "grow" in a barrel you thought was clean...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Just got done cleaning it again and the bore is near mint. I want to do this with the other one but I have to wait on a new striker spring.

I have pretty much given up on scrubbing & using dozens of patches. Now I use Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner. Let it soak for an hour with the gun horizontal & the muzzle slightly down so the crud won't leak into the action. Repeat as required. It will painlessly remove copper & powder fouling, with only a slight amount of effort!

;););)

·
Registered
11 Posts
You might also want to try crowning the barrel. There is a website about Turk Mausers somewhere that provides a description with pictures on how to do this. It is cheap and easy to do, and doesn't take long. My lion-crested VZ24 was throwing rounds like a shotgun even at 50 yds, and after I crowned the barrel I was able to get about 4" groups at 100yds with Romanian surplus ammo. Not a tack driver by any means, but with the barrel being so-so (shiny lands, dark grooves) I call that good enough. Your results might be better with a shiny bore. Good luck with your efforts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts