Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spend big money. I was on withdrawal and had to do it.

Anyways, for those who love Ishapores, here is my new girl. Between 1907 and 1909 Ishapore made the SMLE Mk I*, a total of 3,020. Most of these were later recycled into SMLE Mk I** IP's so finding any with original markings is very, very tough, in fact, I would say I have only seen the two here in person. I have heard of others but never seen them.

This new girl showed up a few years ago on the collector boards and struck my interest as it is a 1920's Irish rebuild. One can conclude it was sent to England during WW I and remained there, thus escaping the Indian remanufacture system. Sadly, besides the receiver, only the magazine catch and rear volley sight are original to the receiver. The dumbbell spring might be but lack markings. The original barrel (oh I was so hoping for an original barrel) was removed and a 1907 Enfield example off of 946X was installed then serialized to the rifle. The Irish serial number is a CR block. It also has the largest gap I have ever seen between the forend and receiver, shrinkage???

So here are two 1908 Ishapores, along with a 1909 Ishapore P1903 bayonet, previously shown earlier in the year. If anyone else has one please shout out I would love to see them!!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,119 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Anthony, the rebuilds were done when all the early features were still the standard of the day. The fact they weren't rebuilt since is still amazing.

I have a tough time expanding pics on this board. From thumbnail to macro closeups with no in between.
I can see one picked up a Mklll forend cut for a bridge along with the later handguards. Assuming that's the CR rifle?
The other was fitted for the later sight protector while retaining an earlier but modified handguard? Does that one still have the inner band fitted in the old location?

Nice showing Lance. Not many of us have seen ERI rifles, yet you scored a pair!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I´ve a Ishapore 1921, made from an early version and a 1907 converted into .410, but these two rifle are great, very rare and in great condition!!!! ... unbelievable!! ... I would be proud to call one my own!!!! The first time I see some of these!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anthony, the rebuilds were done when all the early features were still the standard of the day. The fact they weren't rebuilt since is still amazing.

I have a tough time expanding pics on this board. From thumbnail to macro closeups with no in between.
I can see one picked up a Mklll forend cut for a bridge along with the later handguards. Assuming that's the CR rifle?
The other was fitted for the later sight protector while retaining an earlier but modified handguard? Does that one still have the inner band fitted in the old location?

Nice showing Lance. Not many of us have seen ERI rifles, yet you scored a pair!
The top rifle is a Frankenstein, nothing matches and is fitted with SMLE Mk III furniture. The lower is the Irish rebuild using a Mk I forend and handguards. Bolt, barrel and nosecap match, rear sight does not, forend was not re-s/n'd. Its old original s/n is unreadable. The forend was re-leaved of a bit of wood for the SMLE Mk III sight protector. I am going to keep the Irish example and let Frankie go. It should make someone a nice holiday gift!

·
Registered
207 Posts
My dad bought a No. 1 Mk III back in '59. It turns out to be an RFI, but the right side of the ring has been completely scrubbed.

I'd like to know the original year of manufacture, and it appears to be a '41 rebuild.

If someone would be willing to work E-mail with me privately I could send photos.

DG

·
Registered
286 Posts
Nice rifles...almost landed one myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm sure you have already seen the thread and the excellent restoration that he did, but for future reference "smle addict" over on milsurps has another one (rare Ishapore Mk I):

1 - 15 of 15 Posts