Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I asked this question before awhile ago but never got an actual answer as to why there are two different serial#'s that are associated with my rifle.
I have a No.4 MK1 manufactured by Fazakerly in July of 1944. There is an "England" export mark, but there aren't any U.S. import marks, which tells me this is an early import rifle.

Looking at all the parts that have the # stamped on them, it looks as if the original serial is NA 20388, but then it was changed to NA 20389.
Fore-end: NA 20388 is stamped, then NA 20389 is stamped underneath it

Buttstock Socket: NA 20388 is electro-penciled in and NA 20389 is stamped twice over it.

Bolt: NA 20389 is stamped on it, but looking at the 9, it looks as if it was stamped over an 8.

Magazine: NA 20389 is stamped on it. The 9 looks to have a larger indent then the rest of the numbers which tells me it must have been stamped over an 8.

Barrel: Just found this one last night. I was looking at the barrel and I noticed something hiding behind a spot of worn off Suncorite . I used some solvent and scrubbed the rest of it off. The serial NA 20388 is electro-penciled to the barrel shank.

Any ideas? Also, somebody said they don't recognize the "NA" prefix either.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Let the guessing begin!

Somebody forgot where they left off. "Whaddya mean we did that number already? oops...let me fix it. shhhhhh!!"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol JB.

Can't help with the two numbers, but the "Ëngland" stamp is a US import mark; a relatively early import as you say.
Yes, thank you. Somebody pointed this out to me on another site. I have a book I was following called "Lee-Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 Rifles", by Charles Stratton. He says that the "England" stamp means that the rifle was approved for export. Maybe I just misunderstood.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Because the original electro-pencil number is faint, almost certainly a cadet armourer or similar has decided to re-stamp the number to make it more legible for the purposes of armoury checks. He has then misread and mis-stamped the first number - and then decided to restamp everything else to match.

Its also quite possible that this rifle was entered into an armoury register incorrectly (because of the faint electro number) and, to keep the paperwork straight, they've then altered the rifle to fit the written entry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thought, but the first number is NA 20388 on all the parts. I don't see how the serial could be misread from the faint electro-pencil done on the wrist when it's the same on all parts. The only number that was changed was the last 8 to a 9. NA 20389.

Then again, it could explain why somebody said they didn't recognize the "NA" prefix. Maybe this was done so the serial wouldn't match the serial of another rifle? Maybe the actual serial was A 20388? But it wouldn't explain why NA 20388 was electro-penciled into the barrel, which was then covered in Suncorite? Why not change that number, too? I don't know. To many questions lol.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,562 Posts
Someone mis read the serial number, the next guy was confused, and tried to "fix" it.
I have a Long Branch /3 that is a 5L series, and the rebuild number id 51L. They read the L as a 1. It's stamped all over it; magazine, stock, bolt, and receiver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.