Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Enfields that I will be selling as my interests have changed, along with my belt size.
The first is a British made gun marked with a Crown GR with a small B underneath followed by 1940 ShtLE III*. It does have a small importers stamp behind the bolt handle. The gun appears brand new and unfired. It is all matching including the magazine and does not have a FTR anywhere. I find it hard to believe that the Brits made this gun in 1940 and then kept it in the rack until some distributor bought it. Is this a refurbished Mk III and if so what is it worth.
The other Enfield is and Indian No. 1 MkIII marked with a Crown and GRI over 1948. It too is all matching but has no finish or import mark. I thought India got its independence in 1948, so why does it have the British logo.
Ok, so thats 3 questions, but the first one was a 2 parter.
TIA

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The first one is a "dispersal" rifle. The BSA factory functions were dispersed throughout the area around Birmingham and to subcontracors all over England after Luftwaffe bombing damaged portions of BSA's factory at Small Heath. IMO, it's worth a small premium over a standard SMLE, you could probably get somewhere in the range of $250 or a little more if it's a nice one...my opinion only, mind you. Hard to say if it's been refurbished without seeing it, if it is, the price would drop a bit.

The Indians kept the Imperial cypher into the early fifties, several years after independence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.