Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a nice Izzy M38 & M44, however, I do have two questions. First question pertains to the barrel bands. While the metal and wood on both guns are in excellent shape, the barrel bands have some light surface rust on them. Nothing that a little oil and 0000 steel wool can't fix, but I was just curious if this was common on these guns. My second question pertains to the slings that came with the guns. The 1943 M38 has the standard green dog collar sling, while the M44 came with what appears to be a dark blue (almost black) dog collar sling. Is this the correct sling for a 1944r M44?

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Occasionally you do find a little rust on these recent imports, but I wouldn't say it's typical. Most likely both your slings are M91/30 length and technically incorrect. Every dog collar sling I've seen come in with the recent imports has been so that's pretty much what everybody has and I wouldn't let it bother me. Lately some subgun slings have been showing up with M44s though. They were a substitute, but still not "correct". The green sling is the typical infantry color and the dark blue/black slings were issued to naval infantry. It's really a neat bonus as you don't see nearly as many of them as you do the green ones. Also, all these slings seem to be post-war production, but are the same basic pattern as the WWII era slings.

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
Whats an Izzy?

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I thought she was that girl from Grey's Anatomy???

·
Administrator
19,279 Posts
I thought it was an Israeli..

·
Gold Bullet member
2,330 Posts
I know what a Tin Lizzy is.:) Not sure about an Izzy.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Good start to Mosins with those carbines, MGWLLW. Only thing that I hate worse than Izzy is Sessy.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,258 Posts
Not this again.... Vic... be nice to the newb :) At least MGWLLW didnt call them Nagants!

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
Whats an Izzy?
I thought I told you on the old boards: "Izzy" is a direct and distant descendant of the frozen iceman "Otzi".

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Be nice gentlemen. Don't run off the new guy.
Always, John. I am still hurting from the spanking I received. Was just "mothing" to the flame of the candle. The questions the original poster asked were straight ahead and had no tinge of a...a....a....(not allowed to say the word anymore) mischief-maker.

·
Silver Bullet member
672 Posts
Whats an Izzy?

It's the signature of a lazy person,
I see it all the time and it bugs the heck out of me.
IE: Izzy, Remmy, Winny, ...A few letters of the word and throw a "Y" on the end.

Sorry, getting off my soapbox now.

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Izzy or Izzy not :confused:

regards....(I actually have some Izzies) roger

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
Just bought a nice Izzy M38 & M44, however, I do have two questions. First question pertains to the barrel bands. While the metal and wood on both guns are in excellent shape, the barrel bands have some light surface rust on them. Nothing that a little oil and 0000 steel wool can't fix, but I was just curious if this was common on these guns. My second question pertains to the slings that came with the guns. The 1943 M38 has the standard green dog collar sling, while the M44 came with what appears to be a dark blue (almost black) dog collar sling. Is this the correct sling for a 1944r M44?
the rust happens from time to time. Sling is Naval Infantry and a nice find. Sounds like nice finds. Congrats - BTW they are ragging you on IZZY in fun. Some of us do not like the term so do not take it personal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts