Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I was helped immensley by the folks in here in the Martini forums, and I'm wondering if I may ask again for a wee favour?

I just happened to come across a Magazine Lee-Enfield Mk I (1896) and the only fault with her is the front stock has been cut down for hunting. I want to restore it back to the appearance of a Service Rifle. Fabricating the front stock isn't so hard but finding a mid barrel band and nose cap for the bayonet lug is going to be tricky.

Does anyone know where I should start looking for said parts? Or is it simply easier to get a measurement of one and have it machined?

Thank you,
I'll post pics up of the rifle when the transfer is approved.

Best Wishes,
Jon

Pics of what I need
Nose cap w/bayonet lug

Middle Barrel Band

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
These parts show up on the auction sites from time to time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this site have its own Auction site? I must admit I am entirely new to this.
I could get accurate measurements from existing pieces which I have access too and have them machine made. I suspect it would be cheaper to find the parts on the internet though.

I am trying to restore this rifle for reenactment purposes for a Canadian Boer War era soldier. What are the exact names for the two parts? It could very well be as simple as Mid Barrel Band and Forward Nose Cap w/bayonet lug but things are rarely that straight forward.

Thank you for your taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just a quick question as you wrote making the front stock is no problem.....if this is the MKI Enfield & not marked as the MKI* I would then say you may not find it so easy if returning to the original spec? Inso much as the earler wood has the rod channel and also the upper band has the hole to accept the rod. The latter would be no real problem to drill out if you managed to find the wrong one, but another rarer part lost forever....the wood channel although looking simple is not.The lower barrel band should be easy enough to find.

See wood sticky ref the clearing rod & if you qualify or not MKII Metfords to MKI MLE:))

·
Gold Bullet Member
329 Posts
BroadArrow: I had the same project a few years ago. I kept checking e-bay (uggh), Auction Arms, and Gunbroker. Eventually I got all the parts. A couple from Australia and one from New Zealand. Just takes a long time. EDINOH.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depending on where you are and just how anal you are on parts there is a reasonable chance I can help
Checked my box and I have a midband (actual name lower band) complete with screw and sling swivel, its only marking is W D Broad arrow
Unfortunatly the last owner removed all the finnish
I thought I might have a nose cap but it seems not, on the other hand I do know of a source which I may be able to visit mid month (going to see accountants and lawyers in the right city) so I will look for you

What I need from you is for you to contact me with the amount of finnish and condition you require and your price range (in US Dollars)
I am in NZ and should have no problem sending it to you.

Here is the lower band

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.