Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned a Danish Krag for about six months and I just won an auction on Gunbroker yesterday for a Norwegian Krag. My Danish shoots really good and I am hoping that the Norwegian shoots good. I have heard good things about them and since the 6.5x55 is one of my favorite rounds, I am sure I will like it also. By the way, is it unusual for the 1912 Norwegian Krags not to have the "reinforcing band" behind the front band? The pictures of my new rifle don't show one and there doesn't appear to be in compressed wood to indicate there ever was one on it.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It wasn't until 1916 that the M/1912's muzzle cap was reinforced with band around the stock. Originally the band was a seperate unit that was clamped around the forearm but later, purpose built M/1912s had the reinforcing band integral with the muzzle cap.

·
Registered
87 Posts
.... Originally the band was a seperate unit that was clamped around the forearm but later, purpose built M/1912s had the reinforcing band integral with the muzzle cap.
Krag,

The integrated band was introduced in 1918.

Balder

·
Registered
87 Posts
..... By the way, is it unusual for the 1912 Norwegian Krags not to have the "reinforcing band" behind the front band? The pictures of my new rifle don't show one and there doesn't appear to be in compressed wood to indicate there ever was one on it.
Most 1912 carbines produced before 1916 were retro-fitted with the reinforcing band, but some survived without being modified. It is hard to quantify exactly how many, but I have seen quite a few so they can't be uncommon, at least not here in Norway.

Balder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on Norwegian Krag

I've had my Norwegian Krag now for a few months and am extremely pleased with the accuracy of this gun. The only complaint that I have about this gun is that the bolt seems to be much stiffer that my Danish Krag. I may have been spoiled by the butter smoothness of the Dane, but I certainly expected the Norwegian to be similar. The bolt's serial number does not match the serial number on the rest of the gun, but very few of my collection is completely matching.

Any ideas/suggestions on what is contributing to the stiff bolt?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have a M/1912 carbine and the bolt is no where as smooth as my US Krags and my Dane Krag falls between to the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! If the American Krag is any smoother that the Danish, it must be like glass. I will continue to shoot my Krags and enjoy both of them.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I have generally found US Krags to be smoother in operation than Norskis. I have a M96 and M98 rifle that I'm always opening the bolt to see if I actually chambered a cartridge. "Like a hot knife through butter" would not do them justice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts