Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

A few weeks ago I picked up another pair of No.4s -- a 1943 Savage No.4 MkI* and an unissued 1954 Fazakerley No.4 Mk2. I got the Savage and $300 in a trade for an Egyptian FN-49 (more than a fair deal, I'd say) and I picked up the Faz from an online auction... probably spent more on the Faz than I should have ($430), but I wanted one really bad and hadn't seen one in a while... so I figure together the two new additions pretty much evened themselves out into a pretty fair deal. :) Neither is a recent import, so no horrific Century billboard stamps here! :)

Here are some pics:

1943 Savage No.4 MkI*

This one appears to be correct -- lots of S stamps everywhere -- and it's in what I'd consider to be VG+ condition: bore is a little grey, but still has sharp rifling, the wood is sound (though it appears to have been refinished long ago with something that's a little shinier than what it should be), and it still has quite a bit of the finish remaining on the metal parts. The only down side (if you want to call it that) it the unmarked bolt. But it headspaces just fine, so it doesn't appear to be an issue:

1954 Fazakerley No.4 Mk2

There's not much I can say about this one that the photos won't tell you -- unissued. The seller said it was one of the mummy wrapped rifles that were imported a few years back. He said he cleaned it up a bit, but never shot it. From what I can tell, it's not been used at all. That will be remedied this coming weekend. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the S/N on this '54 put it in the proper range to be considered an Irish Contract rifle. Is that correct?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Yep...that's an Irish contract rifle. And I don't think you paid too much for it at all.

The Savage is a beaut too. Nice couple of scores.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a relative of the bottom rifle ,mines got a few more dings :D.
You can send it to me so they can be closer to each other. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
932 Posts
Unfired Enfield

If I was lucky enough to latch on to an unfired anything I would keep it that way. It is the rarefied altitude of the collecting game. Don't take this as criticism or unwanted advice, please. Just my 2 cents They are truly great looking rifles RETREAD

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I was lucky enough to latch on to an unfired anything I would keep it that way. It is the rarefied altitude of the collecting game. Don't take this as criticism or unwanted advice, please. Just my 2 cents They are truly great looking rifles RETREAD
Not taken as criticism. Personally, I'm a firm believer in firing everything (that's safe to shoot anyhow) since they were made to be a fired. I doubt it will see much range time since I tend to cycle through a large chunk of my collection throughout the year, so it's not like it's going to get worn out any time soon. :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just unwrapped a Mk2 that I had in the safe for 5 years. It's one month younger than yours, and I paid $500 to Brian Dick for it in '02. IMO you did great on both rifles, and I wish I owned your Savage. It looks like one great "Kraut killer".

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,311 Posts
You have done well

$425 for that Mk II is not out of line at all. In fact, in a year you'll be quite pleased :D
I have one that has the same serial number, save the second digit, IIRC. I'll check.
Nice looking Savage, too.
HE SHOOTS...... HE SCORES.........TWICE!!!! :) :)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
Nice rifles! I have neither a Savage nor a Fazakerly, so both would be welcome in my closet.

Congrats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Very nice...congrats

·
Registered
200 Posts
Those are a couple of really nice rifles...congrats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts