Gunboards Forums banner

two more swedish 98 mausers(640,s) in 8mm picked up

840 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 ·
a the first estate auction i picker up three and at the second estate auction i picked up two more, all have ex bores and mechanics and came at very good prices. it seems no one knows how fine they realy are. a third estate auction is comming up in july and their are several more listed.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This Thread just coming to me! Big congrats Eastbank for the 'haul', whatever recent and 'others' too! Most of the 8x57 were built for the European trade just as the 'generally' later production in .270 Win & 30-06 for the American markets. I believe more or a proclivity for the Schnabel stock in those Europe destined configuraions. I prefer the schnabel stocks!
I have one 640 in the fuller forend stock version and one, as I can recall, in the schnabel stock.
Would be interesting to see/have more info on your top rifle with the pad and apparent earlier bolt handle! The center rifle looks more full monte sporterization with the apparent Winchester 70 'three position" horizontal swing safety and stock cross bolts.
Again, congrats!
Best!
John

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Eastbank, again 'congrats' on a handsome rifle 'further revealed'. Have no idea about the receiver ring crest either. The total presentation of the rifle very nice! Also appreciating particularly the recoil pad on any 9.3x62 chambering! Great choice too of the Lyman Model 57 receiver sight. Well thought out rifle.

My only Model 640 in the 9.3x62 chambering a cold stock / great condition Husky in the 128K serial range. Not D&T and with the "old eyes" about useless aft barrel sight. Also, stock butt plate in this chambering, not pleasant shooting! It will stay just as it is on my watch as age turned "collector only". My only other Husky as the core Model 46 in the wartime/early post, sporting edition, solid left sidewall. Entirely stock too, I particularly enjoy it in this configuration & chambering too. Likely not too many of these so mfg!

This chambering among those I admire greatly "in theory", but really don't enjoy much in shooting. Ergonomics plays a very large part as rifle "fitting". Such quest as for me "the collector" grinning and bearing it! Working well as safe queen! :)

Here too as often, applying the 'term' Husky even though misnomer. As a certain plain Jane sub-species "Husky" brand as latter era CRF survivor. My sole example in 7mm Mag as purchased exactly in context of such chambering, Husqvarna only indulging in the big mag diameter round as 'allegedly' as solely in the .358 Norma chamberings! And now having wandered afield...
Thanks EB for the eye candy pix Post!
Thanks also Baribal as ever the expert's expert chiming in!
My 640 referenced pix below.
Best!
John

Attachments

#8 ·
Congrats! Handsome! Presuming not D&T for top scope mount. Seems the meteric chamberings mostly intended for Europe and D&T later than Stateside customers. Is the side mount a "QD" style? Other than scoping, looks stock & excellent! In the FN 640 series, most of the imports for decades the American market version mostly '06 & 270. Sort ofstuck on those chamberings in US & not understanding why! More recent years, the 8mm chamberings arriving in numbers. Perhaps having to do with (rumored if true) Sweden regulating sporting rifles. I do know that for most of the decades I was haunting the gun shops/shows from seventies thru nineties... 8mm was a Husqvarna chambering rarity here! I now have the solid side wall 96 genre, 640 & 1640 in 8mm. All of my 8x57 genre acquired early this Millennium! Believe they were possibly 'trickle down' from Simpson in Canada.
Thanks for the eye candy! :)
Best!
John

#9 ·
Congrats! Handsome! Presuming not D&T for top scope mount. Seems the meteric chamberings mostly intended for Europe and D&T later than Stateside customers. Is the side mount a "QD" style? Other than scoping, looks stock & excellent! In the FN 640 series, most of the imports for decades the American market version mostly '06 & 270. Sort ofstuck on those chamberings in US & not understanding why! More recent years, the 8mm chamberings arriving in numbers. Perhaps having to do with (rumored if true) Sweden regulating sporting rifles. I do know that for most of the decades I was haunting the gun shops/shows from seventies thru nineties... 8mm was a Husqvarna chambering rarity here! I now have the solid side wall 96 genre, 640 & 1640 in 8mm. All of my 8x57 genre acquired early this Millennium! Believe they were possibly 'trickle down' from Simpson in Canada.
Thanks for the eye candy! :)
Best!
John
Not D&T. The cheap Bushnell Banner was relpaced with a much better a 2.5X Burris.

Bookcase Wood Shelf Publication Air gun

Reactions: timmct
#11 ·
Thanks for the additional info Eastbank! As noted a handsome bevy! Because I preferred metallic sights to scopes, I always favored virginal non D&T specimens. But also never allowing such preference rising to ignoring a nice prior drilled & tapped gently used specimen! By now a more worldly view, having possessed both!
Best! :)
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.