Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend (May 22-23), a guy was selling two M38s from an estate. He wanted $300 for one and $375 for another. Both were 1942 rifles in good shape and had good finish and wood. The $300 rifle had only one part of the bolt electropenciled, had matching rear sight, and the barrel was not threaded. Maybe the electropecil is what discouraged people from buying them. But heck for less than $400, they were the best looking M38s I have ever seen at a gunshow. I bought the $300 rifle on Saturday and went back and bought the other M38 for $340 on Sunday.

Revolver
Helmet Auto part
Wood Shotgun Air gun
Gun Rifle Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Wood Brass Metal Shotgun Antique
Trigger
Hand Strap
Auto part Cylinder
Wood Bamboo fly rod
Coin Metal Circle Money Currency
Technology Electronic device Cylinder
Cylinder

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the second M38 I bought. The guy wanted $375 but he was willing to take $340 so I was happy. The wood is in good condition and I think it is beech. It has a threaded barrel and a green thread protector. There are nail holes on the right side of the buttstock. I am not sure which range plate goes in there - I have one but am not sure it is the correct one and I do not have 4 nails. I still can't believe that rifle sat there for almost 2 days and no one bought it ahead of me.

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,694 Posts
You got a bargain on both of them . They both look great . Electro penciled bolt parts are common . I would not worry about that . There are 2 range plates for the Husqvarna M-38 rifles . It depends on which rear sight you have ? The threaded muzzle is a post war addition & very common . The green cap is correct . I have yet to see one with a numbered rear sight , unusual !!!!

·
Silver Bullet member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear sights on both rifles look the same but the first one has the last 3 digits of the serial number underneath and the second one is unmarked. The top of both rear sights only have a crown on top and the scale starts at 1. I have a 1943 M38 that has a T on top of the rear sight and the scale starts at 2. Does that help determine which range plate is proper?

I really like these rifles since they look very nice and are easy to carry. The guy selling the two rifles said the original owner was in a 'gun of the month club' with the other guys at the gunshow. That is, they bought a different type of import gun every month. The owner was very particular about the condition of the rifles he bought and it seems he only bought the best condition rifles he could find. They said when the Swede M38s first came in the country, they sent the best ones. Not sure if true or not. The import mark says 'CLASS DIST SWAN VT' and 'M38 6.55x55 SWEDEN'.

I saw some really nice rifles at that gunshow. Some nice K-31s include a P series, a nice Chilean 1895, a Persian Mauser, a nice Finn B barrel M39, a bunch of SKS rifles from various manufacturers and countries, and a rough 1899 M96 for $400 with a replaced stock. I saw some other M96s but they were rough and more expensive than the rifle I bought. I saw the two M38 rifles when I first got to the gunshow on Saturday. I hung out at the show for several hours and then went back to see if the M38s were still there. Yes, sure enough. So I bought the cheaper one since it had less electropenciling, was cheaper, and the rear sight matched. Went home and asked on this forum about the electropenciling and with some good advice, went back the next day around noon and the second rifle was still there. I think I was able to talk the seller down since there were only two hours left before the show ended. It is always interesting when you want to buy a rifle and you are worried that it is gone because it always seem like other people start hovering over you waiting to see if you buy it or not.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,694 Posts
Your 2 new rifles have the rear sights calibrated for the old M-94 ammo ( 156 grain ) . You will need a range plate with the word " trubbkula " at the top . This plate shows the sight adjustment for the M-41 ammo ( 139 grain ) . Your rifle with the "T" marked sight would have a range plate with the word " spetskula " at the top , for the 156 grain ammo .

You have an option if you can find a "T" marked rear sight . The " tangent " rear sight base is identical on both rifles . The only difference is the calibration on the ladder . If you want your rifle calibrated for the M-41 ammo , just switch to a "T" sight . You will have to resight your rifle . You will probably have to change the front sight blade to zero the new "T" ladder . Keep your old sight parts .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.