Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Santa Barbara Showgrounds is the Historical Arms show and at the Ventura Fair Grounds is the Crossroads Gun Show.
A couple of buddies and I are planning to hit both of them tomorrow. Hope they still sell beer :)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fred. I picked up a nice 9th series Izawa at the SB show last year and have found some nice items at the Ventura show in the past. I'm not quite as much into this as I used to be but may find something I can't live without.

·
Registered
977 Posts
hey arisakadogs, how's the sb gun show??? never been and i'm kinda sick of the crossroads of the west show down here in del mar. hopefully it's better up at the ventura fairgrounds. there's never anything but vendor accessories. never found a thing, plus you gotta drop about 15.00 just to get in!!! that's show admission plus the wonderful 10.00 parking fee. it actually costs more to park at del mar than the show admission!!!!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I guess I'm still addicted to this stuff :( I was doing ok at the Santa Barbara show until I came up Mr. Ken Ito's table. I guess my Banzai hat and bib overalls gave me away. He said "are you arisakadogs?" And that Russ (TG&E) had warned him about me ;) He's a very nice fella and had the best Japanese rifles I've seen on a gun show table in a long time. And now, the two best ones he had are here at home with me :) I can't believe that Edokko or any of those northern Commiefornia guys let these beauties get down here. The first one I "had to have" is a beautiful T-K long rifle with the strawed parts, all matching by assembly number. The mum got the lightest brush of a file I've ever seen. That finish is so gorgeous that most would think it's been refinished - absolutely beautiful and my photos don't do the straw parts justice. They look like gold.
Right next to it was a very nice 1st series Nagoya with the "cav" swivel. Full mum and matching, including the dust cover. The rod is unmarked so it's probably a Kokura rod. Now, I'll be needing a "ri" marked rod for it. It has a very nice T-38 style laminated sling on it that is probably original to the rifle. Of the three 1st series I've had, all of them have had this type of sling and two of them had "cav" swivels. The wider T-99 sling won't work with that swivel unless it has the QD snap clip. Hopefully Edokko can tell what the markings of this sling say. I'm pretty sure the two characters are a name.
So much for quitting this hobby ;)

Poop, my photos got scrambled a bit but they are labeled so just put your cursor on the image to see which rifle it is.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey arisakadogs, how's the sb gun show??? never been and i'm kinda sick of the crossroads of the west show down here in del mar. hopefully it's better up at the ventura fairgrounds. there's never anything but vendor accessories. never found a thing, plus you gotta drop about 15.00 just to get in!!! that's show admission plus the wonderful 10.00 parking fee. it actually costs more to park at del mar than the show admission!!!!
Crossroads seems to host a better show that Roadrunner. Although I've never seen bedding for sale at a gun show before. Who would go to a gun show to buy sheets :?
One guy had about 5 T-99s on his table in so, so condition and each tag said Full Mum and that was all and all were priced at $750. One even had marks on the chamber area where someone had tried to remove the barrel.
I did get a decent buy on 1K rounds of .45 ACP ammo. Damn, that stuff is heavy!
Wasn't all bad - they still sell beer :)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Looks like you had a real good day there Adogs. Congrats on two really fine rifles. You know I like both those long rifles and cavalry swivels.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts
You're hooked, there is no cure!:cry:

nice rifles.

·
Silver Bullet member
854 Posts
Nice pair of rifles! Good thing you're not addicted, you'd need a U-Haul trailer to get all your loot home.:thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
your addicted to living in a shack full of Japanese militaria. You didn't "need" either rifle especially long with missing monopod. Guess if your happy helping revive the economy I'm happy for you
You must be the life of any party you attend. But, are you ever invited??

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice rifles! I like the Dutchman above the sling swivel on the cav rifle, lots of 99's have 'em but most folks don't notice them. Jon
Thanks Jon, I saw that when I was checking it out. Never heard that repair called a "Dutchman" before.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,189 Posts
Dawgs, the Piggly Wiggly Illuminati Arisaka Collector's Association of Northern California got together a while ago to put a re-spell on you so that your life is once again back on the track of self destructive manic Japanese rifle collecting mode. Ken Ito was the chosen member to conduct the evil job.

The marking on your sling is the spell in Japanese code "May you die in monetary poverty but in Arisaka wealth"

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
I have yet to see a show on "Hoarders" where the "Horder" was buried under an exorbitant amount of Japanese small arms and accesories. Including boxed ammunition.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.