Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two ersatz bayos recently came my way. I don’t believe these patterns don’t show up very often , at least in my experience. There don’t appear to be any markings on the longer bayonet but it’s frog is maker marked “A. DAHL , BARMEN , 1915. The smaller unit has a fraktur proof on the blade along with the maker’s name “F. Koeller & Co.”. Here are some pics.

Len

Wood Tool Bumper Automotive exterior Ruler

Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Knife

Tool Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Wood Composite material

Door Water Wood Plumbing fixture Grey

Wood Door Brick Font Gas

Font Cemetery Grave Gas Rectangle

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Very nice pieces one is knife bayonet ASG98 for Mauser 98 system, the other one is too ASG98 with scarce wood inlets grips. The frog was destined for S98/05 bayonets.

·
Registered
588 Posts
WOW! Len, you really scored some RARE beauties there! The Koeller trench knife bayonet and Ersatz #55 are both in great shape, complete with proper scabbard and a well marked frog. The longer bayonet is supposedly one of the earliest ersatz as it is better made and more closely resembles a standard service bayonet. Thanks for sharing.....

·
Gold Bullet member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments fellas! Were ersatz bayonets produced all the way through the war or just in the first year or so?

Len

·
Silver Bullet member
2,216 Posts
I have an ersatz bayonet ( not this model) that was picked up by an solder when his unit crossed the Rhine at Remagen in WW2. His daughter got rid of the bayonet since it was from the war, but never would allow me to make a copy of her fathers picture of him holding it.

They may have been held in reserve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts