Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1964 and a 1965 CG63 and both have the same front sight. The 1964 has a Soderin diopter and the 1965 has an Elit diopter. These are the first two years of production and I would like to know if the front sight is actually the proper/original sight?

I posted pictures of the 1964 in Arilar's thread "Info on early period of CG 63. (As I understand it) because it was made from a m/96 receiver. Pictures on this post are of the 1965. This CG63 is in very good condition and has a very nice stock. It also has 2 different types of spacers.

Attachments

· Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
10,041 Posts
I believe you could order different make accessories for the CG63 . What you have there looks to be a " hood " only & use a dovetailed front sight blade . Most CG63's that I see have the front sight with interchangeable inserts . The most common & best one in my opinion is the Elit front sight which uses the inserts with a 9m/m wide tab at the bottom . These inserts are hard to find in the USA . There are several other types that use the inserts with two tabs at 9:00 o'clock & 3:00 o'clock . Some of these inserts are interchangeable with Anschutz inserts .

Standard length of pull is 14" in most stocks . Either your former owner had longer arms & added the spacer , or it had been cut off for someone else & he brought it back to length .

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Swede. You are right as it is more of a "hood" than a front sight. I guess the ones who originally purchased these rifles (or won for the 1964), prefered to have a "hood" instead of a front sight? Do you know if the Elit front sight was released for the market after the Elit diopter or at the same time than the diopter?

Swede, did you have a chance to take a look at the 1964 in the other thread? I wonder if it is genuine or not since it has an m/96 receiver and the conversion was made in 1964?

10,041 Posts
Both M96 & M94's were used to build CG63's . The M96 is legit . The Elit front & rear sights were being used on M96 target rifles long before the CG63's were made . I see your type of hood on more M96 target rifles than I see on CG63's . I think your's may have been swapped out when the owner let it go ?

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Swede for the front sight info.

My questioning about the m/96 was more in regards to the production year. Everything I have read so far about the early CG63 suggests that a 1964 and a 1965 should be made with a m/94 receiver as FSR has been given/sold 5000 receivers each year.

So seeing this 1964 CG63 made from a m/96 receiver and without a rune made me think that it may have been made before the first 5000 m/94.

But maybe FSR did use some m/96 receivers during their production run for that year. Or it could have been a shooter who brought his m/96 rifle to be converted into a CG63?

10,041 Posts
Surplus rifles were used to make the CG63's . Many M94's had already been surplused to the USA in the late '50's and early '60's . So , even more M94's were used for CG63's . I think there were M96's in need of repair or rebuilding that would also be included with the M94's . The lack of a rune on your rifle could be a mistake for unknown reasons . I would not make much over it . I do not think your's is the only M96 made into a CG63 by Carl Gustaf .

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Both the m/94 and m/96 receivers were used for the CG-63 rifles. I just did a fast look at 59 of the CG-63 rifles offered by a Canadian Dealer here in Canada, and cross referenced them to dates of m/94 Carbine production as stated in "Crown Jewels.". In 1902 and 1905, Carl Gustafs produced only one Carbine for that year while the rest of the years below had no m/94 Carbine production noted.

CG-63 rifles and dates

(1899 M - 4) (1900 M - 2) (1900 CG - 5) (1902 CG - 2) (1905 CG - 2) (1908 CG - 1) (1909 CG - 1) (1910 CG - 1) (1911 CG - 1) (1912 CG - 2) (1920 CG - 1) (1925 CG- 1) (1944 HVA - 2)

This is a total of 25 DEFINITE m/96 receivers out of 59 POSSIBLE receivers. The chances of dates on the other CG-63 rifles of being on m/96 rifle receivers rather than m/94 Carbine receivers makes the percentage much higher as the production of rifles versus carbines on these mutual dates being a lot more.

I just checked a 1965 production CG-63 that was handy and the serial number is 335XXX which would put it as a 1915 m/96 rifle and well over the range of serial numbers for Carbine serial numbers.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great info Buffdog. I knew m96 were used to build CG63 but it was really about the early years (64 and 65) that I wasn't expecting any m96 based on what I have read. I guess there are no specific dates for m94 or m96 receivers used for CG63. I mean there were probably more m94 receivers used for the early production years than m96 but that doesn't mean that no m96 were used.
It is more clear to me now. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.