Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These two Colts, 810 & 823, were in the first shipment of 500 pistols to the Navy in 1912. They were issued to the USS Delaware, BB 28. When she was scrapped in 1924, they were most likely were returned to Springfield Armory or the Brooklyn Navy Yard for reissue.

Number 810 was shipped to the USCG Station Chatham, Mass on Cape Cod in 1937.

Also some more first year 1911 Colt Navys..

Enjoy!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
Beautiful! The "DEL" mark is a ship's inventory stamp done by the master at arms?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,653 Posts
Hi John, Welcome and glad to see you over here on this forum and gunboards. I just posted a transition on our military handguns forum because it gets more traffic and my recent posting on Rem Rand's evolution went largely ignored here.

The early Navy's are a thing of beauty, especially the first few shipments. As we know, few of them survived in decent condition so you have some real treasures there.

Here are a couple(no 1973 failed pic). I will try and find some better pics.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,685 Posts
...and a picture of the ship, an early Dreadnought, which served in WWI.

Part of the second class of USN Dreadnoughts, armed with 10-12" in five twin turrets (our first Dreadoughts were eight-gun ships). Reciprocating engines, half-sister (North Dakota) had turbines.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
Don't see many 27-month old threads pulled back to the top! Saw me on there and have no recollection of the post. Wow! Nice pistols, even the second (or 100th) time around!

·
Gold Bullet member
13,653 Posts
Me too Brad. I was hoping John was gonna be around. I have seen these pistols several time before on 3 other sites. I never tire of them. I missed it being old too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts