Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired two M95s.
1. A M95 Long Rifle with a Budapest receiver. Barrel is marked Wn(Eagle)14. All metal parts including the bolt are Austrian marked with a K. The barrel serial number and receiver serial number do not match. No other numbers on stock or other metal parts. No import marks. Rifle will not chamber an 8x56 round, so it is probably an 8x50. No S on top of barrel. However, in line with the Wn(Eagle)14 is either an 8 on its side or two oo tangent (touching) to each other. Anyone have an idea what the oo means?

2. A sporterized M95 Stutzen. I almost cried when I saw it at an auction. Receiver is a Budapest, but everthing else is Austrian. Bubba threw away the upper hand guard and all of the metal bands, stacking rod and sling swivels, leaving a hole where the rear lower swivel was. He didn't do a bad job of rounding off the front of the stock. The barrel has a serial number, the receiver does not. The barrel does not have an S and will not chamber an 8x56 round. The barrel is marked Wn(Eagle), and I can't read the date number. No import marks.
Bought it because it was a Budapest and cheap and because I have all the missing parts. I will have to admit that the rifle balances very well in the hand and is very short and light. It makes a great woods rifle and if that is what Bubba* had in mind, he achieved his goal.
Any comments are welcome.

*I am one to talk. In 1963 I bought a Springfield M1903A3 from the DCM for $15 and over the next winter sporterized it putting on a new stock that I inletted and finished, and installing a target trigger and a turned down bolt handle to clear the scope I put on it. If I took it to a gun show tomorrow I'd be lucky to get $300 for it with the scope. If I had left it alone, I probably could get $650-$700. But, like Bubba, I can say that I built it and it is a part of me.

·
Gold Bullet Member
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Gary for your comments. Although the Budapest Long Rifle is a mix-master of parts, I wanted it because I have a photo of my grandfather carrying one when he served in the Hungarian Army from 1892 to 1903. He came to the US in 1903 as a legal alien. I recall him telling me that the two things that he liked most about the US were that he could own his own home and own a gun to protect it. I'm an NRA Life Member also, since 1969.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
If you get a chance to post a pic of the Long Rifle, that would be nice to see. I too bought my (only) Budapest M95 carbine because of my Hungarian heritage. Although I'm not actively looking, if a Budapest Long Rifle in 8x56 pops up I'll be purchasing that too.

Keith

·
Administrator
12,066 Posts
... I too bought my (only) Budapest M95 carbine because of my Hungarian heritage...
Nice haul!

I have several long M.95s, Budapest-made: Bulgarian contracts of 1909 & 1914 and one, that doesn't have a Bulgarian crest, just a small Bulgarian lion on the barrel:

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,066 Posts
Here are some Repetiergewehre M.95; some of them are Budapest-made:

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
Lovesz,
Are you certain it was "Bubba" that sporterized your rifle?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
AHA Nick! So that's where all of the longs went to.

Admittedly, the little M95 has been low on my priority list. Since I'm working away from home, I can only bring a few rifles with me at a time. Yesterday I found some 8x56 at a local pawn shop. I got my (Nazi) clips a few weeks ago from RC Arms. So...I guess I'm now all ready to shoot the little guy :) .

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
what's it worth?

Nice haul!

I have several long M.95s, Budapest-made: Bulgarian contracts of 1909 & 1914 and one, that doesn't have a Bulgarian crest, just a small Bulgarian lion on the barrel:
What is the M95 BUDAPEST 1914 worth now? I have one with a S on the barrel and a number on the side receiver and barrel that says 1122. Bolt and stock numbers don't match though.

·
Administrator
12,066 Posts
$49.95

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.