Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well these were a meant to be kinda thing and when the chance came to own them, I wasted no time. :thumbsup:

First up is a well used 1938 M91/30 Tula that definately saw a bit of fighting. First owned by the Russians invading into Finland during the Winter war or early Continuation war. There is no "41" stamp on it and all of the parts are Tula matching and also numbers matching.

You can even see the wear from the owners putting the bayonet on during battle

Wear on the finish from where hands have been I guess. Cool

In the white

These next few pics are from what I believe to be acceptance stamp or inspector stamp. More of them ahead on the other rifle as well.

The next rifle is one I have to give a huge "thank you" to 42tula for! :thumbsup: Heck of a guy and one I call my friend.

This one is a bit of a mystery to me. Some of you might remember it from his thread a while back. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?346965-Value-of-a-Finn-captured-91-30

The condition of the rifle is stunning and I don't even think my pictures captured it. All I can think of how to explain it's condition is to handle a very nice refurb...that's how nice the stock is. I do not see how it went through Russian ownership, into war, get captured by the Finns, and end up in this shape. Even the sling is stamped both Russian and Finnish. I think this is the original sling and collars as 42tula said this is how he got it. Simply stunning

It definately had "fix bayonet" time! So it was used...I think that is so cool to look at.

Acceptance/inspector mark again

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
oh ok, interesting placement by the importer. Used to seeing it on the receiver and or barrel end, not on the shank. Reminds me of the translation they did in the 90s on the Russian SKS; having it right next to the orginal markings / serial.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Very nice rifles fellows, i have a '39 Izhevsk that looks identical to Millers. Spax the quad o's are the translation of the cyrillic yy, done by the importer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Great rifles!

However, I wouldn't call them 100% original myself because they are both Finnish marked and import marked. The stock finish on the second one looks like it was likely redone by the Finns to some degree. The second one is pretty close, but those pesky markings still keep it from the title of 100% original in my book.

For a Soviet rifle to be 100% original in my book, it cannot have any significant post-factory modifications, and I'd include markings as something that could keep a Soviet rifle from holding the coveted "100% original" status.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great rifles!

However, I wouldn't call them 100% original myself because they are both Finnish marked and import marked. The stock finish on the second one looks like it was likely redone by the Finns to some degree. The second one is pretty close, but those pesky markings still keep it from the title of 100% original in my book.

For a Soviet rifle to be 100% original in my book, it cannot have any significant post-factory modifications, and I'd include markings as something that could keep a Soviet rifle from holding the coveted "100% original" status.
Oh good grief. Lol

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
Oh good grief. Lol
:laugh: it wasn't me this time! Thats why i never use definitives when speaking about mosin nagants. Less headaches that way; because technically shmlnaa is correct. Ive seen only two or so rifle that are 100% orginal matched unrefurbished and nonfinned. I think Ryan has one.. forget who has the other. Rare as heensteeth.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
99% works for me. :) I have a couple of Finn captures, but the most original one is a '41 Izhevsk that's all original except for the Finn-matched bolt and an import mark.

Nice rifles!!
Agreed, its the cloest most of us would ever get to owning one as it left the factory without breaking the bank.. thats if one can find one.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
99% works for me. :) I have a couple of Finn captures, but the most original one is a '41 Izhevsk that's all original except for the Finn-matched bolt and an import mark.

Nice rifles!!

+1,

But it's a simple fix, just change the title of the thread to " 100% original matching Finn captures"

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,486 Posts
Nice rifles!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.