Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....just a condensed story behind this-after the tail end of serving with VA-75 and Linebacker 2,the next deployment was to the Med on CV-60,Saratoga....pulled into Naples -took a bus trip to Rome...in Oct '74...saw all the sites,this is just one of the hundreds of slides I shot...a stadium built for Mussolini when he was the Big Salami....looks crappy because its a slide,and the only way I could copy it was to project it and then shoot it with a cheap digicam...

....fast forward to 1984...met my wife...got married,kids,etc....her dad-a WW2 vet who went from Salerno to Austria had died just before I met her....sadly,her mom we had to put into assisted living for Alzheimers not too long ago...while preparing the house for sale and cleaning out,I came across an old photo album of her fathers that no one apparently knew about....lotsa ww2 pics..............I froze when I came across this one......

the wall he stands on was the one I was leaning on when I took my picture 30 years later....I recall climbing up to it for a better shot when our tour guide said the bus was leaving ,because I asked a bud to take a pic of me in the exact same place-never did......I still get chills everytime I see this and realize that 30 years after he was there-I was in his footsteps....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...well-I'll leave this upm to the mods-but after posting this here,maybe this better fits in the war stories section....???

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Looks like the only difference is Father Time. Nice Pics. I think I would have felt the same way after putting the two pics side by side.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Whoa!

That's really neat. :cool:
I'd say leave it here. Or can you "copy" it to the other so it sits in both instead of just moving it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some more pics.....

....here's a few more out of the album -lots I havent made digital yet...

can give a few details I have been able to find out if anyone's interested..........

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,761 Posts
I would like to hear the details.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Absolutely ...please!

Kim

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I can give a few details I have been able to find out if anyone's interested..........
Interested? Interested?? You bet I'm interested!!! :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...really sorry for taking so long to get back on this-my work schedule is AFU'd/FUBAR and by the time I get online to czech stuff its so late I dont feel like typing with these 2 fingers...hehehehe....please gimme a couple day or so and will type all details I can....for now-I'll just add that he was in the 804th Tank Destroyer battalion and he landed in Salerno....that mountain valley shot you see was a town in northern italy by austrian border that is now a resort biking and ski area...more later-honest,I'm not trying to tease,I'm just erally short on time and patience to type...hehehehehe

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
Of course I'm interested, stood there in the sixthies on these same ground of the stadion of the "centemille", the "one hunderd thousand". To be honest ... before you could find one single picture of Mussolini in the all of Italy. Things have changed, believe me! If ever in Rome, walk the Tiber river and take a look at the city lantern posts and wonder why they only cut away the edges of the axes of the "fasces". You not only walk 2000 years of history but also the last 70 years! Go to the "Porta Portese", the fleamarket on sunday, and try to find some stuff from 20 centuries old till the last 100 years. Would this be a good idea to celebrate ones anniversary? Ho yes it would!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts