373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Author Topic
RP
Gunboards Super Premium Member

(Cut and Paste from old Boards)

326 Posts
Posted - 08/03/2007 : 12:25:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to share some photos of my new purchase. Looking forward to doing some research on it as well. I know there are several refernece works out there. Any suggestions on the best one. Enjoy the weekend all.

RP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - RP on 08/03/2007 12:26:22 PM

A square 10
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
701 Posts
Posted - 08/03/2007 : 6:32:24 PM

nice looking rifle

royalirish

USA
275 Posts
Posted - 08/03/2007 : 7:16:57 PM

RP,
Well sir,
You have a outstanding rilfe manufactured by Turner for the Rifle Volunteer Corps. Turner, and one other manufacturer were the only 'Trade' companies that manufactued the entire rifle. I have a T.turner that is marked to the 1st Devon. These volunteer pattern rifles were manufactued by the 'Trade' for RVC, and not the regular army. Hope that this helps.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Tom in Pittsburgh

373 Posts
Posted - 08/04/2007 : 12:08:46 PM

Nice rifle, Russ -- another beauty.

The folks over here would enjoy seeing your images, and will probably be able to offer additional info.

http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm2

Best,

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com

If a guy is handing out $20 dollar bills, there will always be somebody complaining that it isn't two tens...

RP

326 Posts
Posted - 08/04/2007 : 7:22:18 PM

Thanks all for your comments. Mick, Tom good to hear from you both again. Mick...martini loading is going extremely well and I may be pinging you soon for some more carded wool. Tom, the beaumont is incredible and I have shot it several times now, loads were great.

As for this old girl...I will look to load for her as well. First things first though...need to read up on Sniders. I usually do that first, but this opportunity presented itself fast so had to jump on it.

Tom - I've post on the other board as well...

Thanks again gents

Working on a website for my personal collection...any/all comments welcome. www.militaryboltactions.com

royalirish

USA
275 Posts
Posted - 08/04/2007 : 7:40:03 PM

RP,
Glad to hear that you are still shooting the M-H, and the loads worked well for you. You, and the lad from kalifornia were my last students, wow that was a whole ago! I have considerable research on the Volunteers, and their rifles. So if you need more information on your 'little darlin' let me know.
I don't know if you remember the Volunteer rifle Corps we had a number of years agowhen British Guns was still up 'n running. Those were the days.
I strongly suggest that you get a copy of Skennerton's book on the S-E. The second printing has much more data on the volunteer patern S-E.
When you are ready to shoot your volunteer rifle, send me a signal, and I will get you started. A fun weapon to shoot, and very accurate if she is fed right!

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Xwingnut

USA
318 Posts
Posted - 08/13/2007 : 08:08:18 AM

I am going to buy a Snyder and would like to ask you where you got yours from, conditin, and if possible price?
In addition : do you plan on shoting it? and if so where would you accquire ammo?

Thank You

Xwingnut

RP

326 Posts
Posted - 08/13/2007 : 4:41:50 PM

Xwingnut,

I don't mind at all answering your questions. I have often asked the same myself. I purchased this from a collector I know. I never expected he would give it up. That said, I had been looking for one in decent shape and didn't think for one second that I would find one in this condition (which I would consider excellent).

I expected to pay at least $1,000 for one in very good plus condition with very good or better bore and all correct and complete. I paid $1600 for this but expected to pay over $2K for it. I didn't flinch, but then again everyone has their own pricing benchmarks. I would ask others on this board to comment on the price I paid as they are likely in a better position to respond to what the market has been like for Snyders. I only wanted a shootable and collectable example. This far exceeded my expectations, based on what you typically see for sale. It is also a different variation from your standard issue military model and that may be cause for a price premium (I'm not sure - so all you smart guys jump in here to help Xwingnut).

I do plan on shooting it, but I will reload for it. This example came with 10 cases. You can get dies from Buffalo Arms as well as cases, bullets etc (not cheap). They may also have loaded ammo for sale as well, but you can expect to pay big bucks. Close to $100 per 20 if not more. I don't have a load yet I plan to use. Will let the group know how she does once I find the time to work some up and test them.

Regards,
RP

Working on a website for my personal collection...any/all comments welcome. www.militaryboltactions.com

Edited by - RP on 08/13/2007 6:21:07 PM

royalirish

USA
275 Posts
Posted - 08/13/2007 : 7:43:59 PM

RP,
You did well sir. You neither stole it nor over paid for it. In England I am told that a good volunteer rifle is going for over $2,000.00. I have been collecting volunteer militaria for quite a number of years, and I can tell you that it is all extremely rare. I have three (3) volunteer pattern rifles, a T. Turner, dated 1870 on the stockand with engraving associating it to the Exeter & South Deven VRC. The very first corps to answer the call to defent England from the French in 1859. Also this rifle is know as a 'checkered' S-E. A truly beautiful arm. Number two was manufactued by I. Hollis & Sons, and along with the T. Turner were the only one of the 'Trade' that manufactued their rifles interiely in house. The Hollis started out as a P '53RM, but was later converted by its owner to the S-E principal. Also this rilfe is among the rarest of the voluntter patterns. It is what is known as a volunteer 'Prize' rifle. It was given to a member ( can't recall his name) a member of Coy B, London Rifle Brigade for winning in an anual competition. Here is the corker, it has a five (5) bbl! This 'little darlin' is a real tack driver. The last of my volunteer pattern rifle is a Sjts. pattern two(2) band rifle manufactuerd by Tower, and is dated 1870. This one is near mint.
So volunteer patterns are the most desirable, and the least is known about them The only books printed on the subject were done in England, and are now long out of print. Thanks to some of my mates in England I have a good selection.
Now RP, don't let any one tell you that the S-E do not shoot well. I will post you some photos taken at one of the old Volunteer Rifle Corps matches. If loaded correctly to the LoC, your rifle will do you proud.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

royalirish

USA
275 Posts
Posted - 08/13/2007 : 9:49:31 PM

RP, etal.
One item that I failed to mention. Any volunteer pattern rifle that has markings engraved on the heel of the butt plate will definately add a premium to the price of the arm. For anyone who might be interested I have a complete list of all of the Volunteer Rifle Corps, and now a list of the Yoemanry, and Mtd. Mifles units. An important list when one is atempting to decypher the crazy quilt of markings on the butt plate.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territroy

1 - 1 of 1 Posts