Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been reading about all the different Mauser based sniper rifles from WWII to present and was wondering if Turkey ever built them out of their reworked Gew.88 and Gew.98 Mausers...or even any of their other rifles of that era?

I have a Gew.98 rework - 1937 TC / ANKARA with an amazingly nice bore - and was toying with the idea of making a repro. sniper out of it IF the Turks ever had one. The internet is decidedly NOT helpful in this area, which leads me to believe that they did NOT produce one...but then you guys are the experts in this area so I thought maybe somoen here can shed some light on this subject.

TIA

·
Administrator
10,259 Posts
WW I Turkish Snipers

From all Australian Accounts, the Turkish snipers on Gallipoli were picked shooters known for their ability with a standard, Iron sighted Mauser (M90, M93 or M'03). So, for that matter, were the Aussies. 1915 in Gallipoli was still too early for the diffusion of Scope sighted sniping rifles more commonly found on the Western front and Italian Fronts (the first ones were "private" guns, anyway).

It is Possible that the Germans supplied the Turks with Gew98 Scharfshuetzen gewehr, but I have seen no pictures to prove this.

The average Turk soldier with a "country" background, was a good shot, and the occasional one exceptional. They took a lot of pride in accurate shooting.

As to the Post Independance and Republic times, I suppose some "German" style scoped 98s or Vz98/.22s might have been used, but there is no indication at all. In any case, they would have been in 7,9mm, and not 7,65 Turkish.

As to making a "Turk Sniper", best find a German one and "add" a few Turk Property marks (Crescent Moons) That is about as close as one will get to a "real Turk Sniper" if one ever existed....

Regards,
DEoc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There were at least some Gew98's sniper rifles provided to the Turks either by the Germans during the war or acquired afterward. There was a shipment of mainly Gew98 rifles that came in from Turkey in I believe the late 80's early 90's through Navy Arms in NJ, in that batch of rifles were a couple of original Gew98 snipers which still had the bases affixed, the rifles were typical Turk reworks though condition wise, I still have the one I bought, I got it specifically for the bases as I had a near mint Gew98 sniper which was all matching & original, non-import etc but the complete scope & mount set had been removed, the bases from the Turk GEW were the same pattern (it's one of the WW1 types shown in Senichs German sniper book). I don't recall anything else about it in detail as I haven't even looked at it in about 15 years! (the Turk Gew sniper that is), the original German WW1 is still at the smith that was putting the bases on & making repro rings for it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, more knowlegable folks than me...... sorry ;)
Hey...all of you were able to provide more pieces of information than I was able to find even on www.turkmauser.com ... great source of info for a "newbie" like me but still didn't anwer thsi specirfic question.

So...all being said, adding a German Gew98 scope system would be about as accurate a representation of known "snipers" as is possible based on current knowledge. Well, I can't think of a better place to strat then...

Thanks to all who responded! It is very much appreciated!

--Mike
CCSA

·
Registered
294 Posts
Appreciate the kind words but I'm not sure how much can be "deduced" from these rifles, they were in a shipment that definitely came out of Turkey, they are (or at least were) original WW1 GEW snipers, my understanding was that a few were supplied to the Turks late in WW1. After WW1 though the Turks did acquire large numbers of "surplus" WW1 Mausers from various countries that had captured them or been given them as war "booty". I dug out the rifle & here's a couple pics of it. It's a Mauser Oberndorf 1917, barrel, receiver, floorplate & lower band are matching, the stock still has the remains of the Imperial proofs on the right side. You can see the screw patterns for the bases, this had to be one of the "standard" Scharfshutzen base types as when they were removed they lined right up on the other rifle I have, the bases/mounts are illustrated in Senich's German Sniper book but I don't have my copy at hand so can't give the pg number. Interestingly there are no Turkish markings that I can find anywhere on this rifle, I have 2 or 3 other WW1 era Turk Gew98's & they all have some kind of Turkish marking, they also all have the original Gew98 straight bolts, this rifle has a turned down bolt, it's not numbered & there's a small proof on the bottom near the bolt stem but I can't make out if it's an Imperial stamp, for some reason I always thought this rifle had a Kar98K bolt in it (I'm not a Mauser expert by any stretch & don't really know what the differences would even be!). It's a real WW1 German mfg Gew98 sniper rifle, no Turk mkgs anywhere, it did have the original bases still attached when I got it, it's definitely been reworked & it definitely came into the US in the late 80's early 90's from Turkey so I would have to say that the Turks probably did have/use at least a small number of Gew98 Scharfshutzen rifles, if not during WW1 then right after.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No disrespect, but that looks like a rifle in very good condition. In your place, I would get repro mounts for the stripped one and leave the original alone. That way you have one completely original unit and one 'restored' one, rather than two that are 'restored'.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the "advice" but the switch was done about 10-12 years ago, also the Turk is pretty decent rifle but the other rifle is a mint original all matching WW1 98 Scharfschutzen that someone (for whatever reason) just removed the entire base/mount scope from, I can only assume it was to use on a sporter rifle. There is no comparison between that rifle & the Turk in condition, originality etc, also at the time there was no big industry making reproduction stuff for these (repro WW2 Nazi was of course all over the place even then) WW1 items & I felt that using the original WW1 mounts for the German Gew was a much better choice as the rifle itself is exceptional.
Getting bases back then wasn't a matter of ordering a set of repros, I just lucked out w/the Turk as the bases were the same that had been fitted to the German Gew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.