Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I picked this rifle a few weeks ago from a gunbroker auction and wanted to share it since there do not get many mentions in the Mauser collecting world. During WW1 the Germans seized a batch of Paraguayan contract Mausers from the Mauser factory at Obendorf and gave them to their Ottoman allies. This was because they were in the same caliber that the Ottomans were already using (7.65 Mauser). Because the Ottomans used the original Mauser stripper clip design that did not have those little bumps on the side, the clip guide on these rifles had to be replaced with a new screwed-on one. This feature is a small one but it stands out when you know to look for it. It picked up the collector name “Pseudo 1903” because it sort of resembles the unique 1903 pattern ottoman receiver that had a special stripper clip bridge milled into as part of the original design for the same reason (old style stripper clip use).

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen or heard of one of these rifles surviving the Turkish rebuild program of the 1930s and this is sadly one of the rebuilt 8mm rifles, but they are still uncommon and hard to find since most folks who even do have them have no idea they are “special”. I only found this one because the auctioneer mislabeled another Ottoman rifle they were selling which made me think they might have other desirable rifles in this batch of Turks they were selling. I found this one (also mislabeled) when looking through these other listings.

Overall, it is just another well used Turkish 8mm Mauser rebuild rifle, but it is one of the many interesting and unique offerings the Turks made from their wide variety of pre WW1 rifle variants.
Wood Building Facade Art Metal

Wood Road surface Tool Asphalt Pattern

· Registered
2,520 Posts
Your welcome. Thanks for sending over those links on the Paraguayan contract as well!
I'm going to add them here just for reference:

· Registered
To the man who got me into collecting. You will always be remembered.. RIP DAD DECEMBER 7 2021.
1,006 Posts
Nice Ex Paraguay 1907 Nick! This one is on my list however I am holding out for one still in 7.65 and, have yet to cave for the 8mm updated one. Either way not a easy rifle to find! Very rare ottoman that rarely shows up!

Thanks Gage

· Registered
813 Posts
Great find, well done on recognizing a rare variant! As fourbore said, these sorts of gems are the reason I log on every day. It also underscores what can be found hiding in the big auction houses, often for very reasonable prices.

· Administrator
10,393 Posts
In the 1930 Turkish rebuild program ( to 7,9mm), the Pseudo-1903s were included with Legitimate 1903s for New Serial ( all Turk 7,9 conversions have New Western Serials, with a New Serial Range for Each Model Converted ( From info derived from my Turk Serial Survey on C&R - Parallax site.)
So the Collector Name ( Pseudo 1903) was introduced into my Survey, when I picked up a couple here in Australia ( Pseudo M1903/30). It seems they were converted at random, as they came in with normal M1903s.
( from spread of serials and different actual years of conversion, from 1930s to early 40s).
I don't know of any other 7,65 cal. Rifles sent to Turkiye in
WWI.Maybe the high level RKIs
( JPS, Jon Speed, SimsonSuhl)
Can shed some light on Mauser and 7,65 rifles to Turkiye in WWI.

Happy New Year to all
DocAV
Down under ( Sunny, 28°C)

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the 1930 Turkish rebuild program ( to 7,9mm), the Pseudo-1903s were included with Legitimate 1903s for New Serial ( all Turk 7,9 conversions have New Western Serials, with a New Serial Range for Each Model Converted ( From info derived from my Turk Serial Survey on C&R - Parallax site.)
So the Collector Name ( Pseudo 1903) was introduced into my Survey, when I picked up a couple here in Australia ( Pseudo M1903/30). It seems they were converted at random, as they came in with normal M1903s.
( from spread of serials and different actual years of conversion, from 1930s to early 40s).
I don't know of any other 7,65 cal. Rifles sent to Turkiye in
WWI.Maybe the high level RKIs
( JPS, Jon Speed, SimsonSuhl)
Can shed some light on Mauser and 7,65 rifles to Turkiye in WWI.

Happy New Year to all
DocAV
Down under ( Sunny, 28°C)
Thanks Doc. I always appreciate your inputs on these Turkish rifles.

· Diamond Bullet Member
2,524 Posts
I had 2 of these- both had the small NaCo Navy arms import mark. Most I saw were at the Navy Arms table for sale in the 90's at the OGCA shows at Cleveland. I always look on GB for these too.
Navy arms seemed to have a lot of them mixed in with the Turkish Mauser gew.98's they Imported

· Registered
2,520 Posts
To add to history here from the 1913 yearly report a unique chart that shows the Ordered rifles, shiped rifles and still to be made examples. There you can see the 12000 China rifles that were in 6.8 and the 10,100 Paraguay rifles 7.65 that were shipped to Turkey. The China rifles had new barrels made or reboard and were brought into German service during WW1. Please add this to the site talks. Jon
Font Material property Rectangle Paper Document

1 - 16 of 16 Posts