Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with a very nice 1944 dated M38 Turkish Mauser. I originally bought this rifle 15 or so years ago. I put it in the back of my locker, never fired it and, frankly, forgot about it until a few months ago, when I decided to look it over again and check it out. Although everything looked great, the bolt closed on an 8mm field headspace gauge. I checked out several other bolts to see if the bolt was the issue, and it wasn't. I took the barrelled receiver to a local gunsmith who said that the headspace was out .016". He wanted more to repair the issue and relocate the rear sight (to fit the handguard after barrel was adjusted) that the rifle is worth. I am now not sure what to do with the rifle. I suppose I could part it out, but the listing, tracking, packing and mailing process is a hassle. The stock is sound, is all matching but bolt, the metal is nice and bore is good. Would appreciate any practical tips for what to do with this rifle...

Greg

·
Registered
379 Posts
It is not hard to make reloads for out of headspace rifles, especially since 8mm brass can be made from 30-06. No extra cost, except for standard reloading tools, 30-06 brass, and lots of patience. You will be effectively treating your rifle as a wildcat, but is that too bad?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have owned and shot a lot of K98's in my life and have never worried about the headspace due to the incredibly strong receivers and bolt/locking system on the Mausers. I would not be afraid to shoot one with some headspace issues unless it was something ridiculous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.