Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A LGS has a 1940 Turkish Mauser that appears to have been modified at the receiver. A portion has been notched, much like a Korean conversion of a Japanese Type 99 7.7mm Short rifle to be able to shoot 30.06 ammo. This also included lengthening the box magazine. I don't believe the Turkish magazine was modified. This could be the work of a backyard gunsmith or did the Turks have a modification for these rifles for other countries after WW2. Just wondering? I will dig deeper, and go back to photograph, after responses. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
A LGS has a 1940 Turkish Mauser that appears to have been modified at the receiver. A portion has been notched, much like a Korean conversion of a Japanese Type 99 7.7mm Short rifle to be able to shoot 30.06 ammo. This also included lengthening the box magazine. I don't believe the Turkish magazine was modified. This could be the work of a backyard gunsmith or did the Turks have a modification for these rifles for other countries after WW2. Just wondering? I will dig deeper, and go back to photograph, after responses. Thanks in advance.
The original Turkish M90's, M93's and M03's fired 7.65x54mm ammo which was slightly shorter than the 7.9x57mm (also called 8mm) Mauser they were converted to fire. They had to cut the notches when they did the modification. If that rifle you saw is 7.9mm Mauser, the modification was done by the Turks. They converted the rifles for their own use when they decided to make 7.9mm Mauser their standard.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Here is a link to the various Mauser models that the Turks modified in the 1930's. Turk Mauser - Models

I would agree most likely one of the three models that ryg mentioned. It seems that the 1903's mostly got converted up to the late 30's. No 1940 dates shown for those in the s/n survey section of that website, but never say never. The other two models do have known 1940 date samples. Another possibility would be the 88/05/35 1940 dated Turk conversion. Although not a Mauser, these also would have a notched receiver edge, although in that case dating to the earlier 1905 conversion by the Germans.

A link to the s/n survey page... Turk Mauser - Serial Numbers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.