Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
The welding at least looks as though it will hold. The peining to secure the pommel causes me to raise an eyebrow.

·
Silver Bullet member
29,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The welding at least looks as though it will hold. The peining to secure the pommel causes me to raise an eyebrow.
I did the exact same thing with mine! After shimming one bayonet with old head gasket, it struck me--why not just peen it back down?

(So I put the bayonet in a vise like so, and used a small Lyman steel hammer to pound on the back until the stopped moving)

I still use the head gasket trick for the crossguard.

These are the pictures post-cleaning/polishing. After thoroughly cleaning with nylon brushes and Greased Lightning cleaner.

Top to bottom: Sarco, Trader 1, Trader 2

Opposite side, opposite order (Sarco, Trader 1, Trader 2)

I followed up with some Iosso GunBrite™ polish. I also mixed and matched the best levers

Top to Bottom: Trader 2, Trader 1, Sarco

Finally, my grips have come back! More photos later

·
Silver Bullet member
29,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay, time for more pictures thanks to my "White Knight" buddy

Hole repair, notice the circle looks similar to the one on the Sarco grips, this is from the same set, so its kind of fitting.

Backside of the repair with newly-made screws, note the left one is larger and has coarser threads, these are for use in the back holes

(Test-fitting the new screws on the Sarco blade. The only issue was the front hole in the Trader 1 bayonet is a bit tight due to some peening to fix looseness)

For comparison (Left to right: New rear screw, new front screw, original screw)

The original screws were cleaned up and reblued, one set will go on the Trader 2 bayonet.

(More accurately, the best two will go on the Trader 2 bayonet)

At this point the next items are polish up the Sarco and Trader 1 grips, my plan is to test two different polishes: Meguiar's NXT Generation All Metal Polish, and Iosso bore cleaner (its a bit more aggressive than their GunBrite™ polish) applied with an old electric toothbrush.

Next is a test-fitting of throats and scabbard bodies once the latter arrives from Sarco. I may also re-use the least-damaged M8A1 body from the Apex order

21 - 23 of 23 Posts